What's new

DHCP range not accepted

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Geedsen

New Around Here
Just received my AX6000 to replace a RT-AC87U. So I am configuring it for swapping it. I have a lot a devices at home and a lot of them have a fixed addresses (because of a home automation system). So it is important that the configuration is very similar to the old router. I connected the new router on the WAN port to my current LAN. Opened up the admin from the WAN , so on my PC I can now have both the new and the old admin sites open. So the first thing I wanted is to make sure that the DHCP range is the same as on the old router: 192.168.2.64 to 192.168.2.254 (I was not sure it would allow me to do that because it would be in the same range as the current WAN ip address). But it tells me 192.168.2.64 is an invalid ip address. But it looks like any other ip address I try is invalid as well. 192.168.3.64 anything except the 192.168.50.* range that was the default. Is this supposed to be working like this? If I google for valid DHCP ranges I see a lot of other possibilities. And reconfiguring my home automation system to use totally different ip addresses is a not a good idea.

You can't have a WAN IP address that is within the LAN subnet. The router should detect this and tell you it's an error (which it is).

I was afraid of that as I said. So I need to figure out how I can access both at the same time. I have to copy a lot of mac addresses so dont really feel like typing them. Thanks

So I need to figure out how I can access both at the same time.

You don’t need to. Copy all DHCP reservations table, paste in an Excel file. Multiple methods to transfer DHCP reservations manually. Some folks use screenshots, some export/import in SSH… whatever method works for you and you are comfortable with.

Might be a whole lot easier to assign those clients with a real static IP address and forget the manually assigned IP addresses.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!