What's new

Did I just brick my AC66U?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

d3vilsadvocate

New Around Here
Hello again

I just managed to install the wrong firmware on my asus ac66u router. I don't even know how that happened since I googled for the proper router name, downloaded a driver from the official asus support page and I still ended up with the wrong file. More importantly, the asus router actually ACCEPTED the damn thing when I tried to upload the damn file via recovery mode. I'm speechless as to why this is even possible.

Now I can't access the router anymore at all. Connecting my computers to it will allow me to access other computers on the LAN, but the router doesn't seem to have an IP. I can't ping it, telnet doesn't work and none of the asus tools work either. I tried the 30 WPS flush, no dice.

Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Goddamnit this makes me so angry I can't believe this happened. The only reason I wanted to upgrade the firmware in the first place is because of security issues associated with this device. Curse you, Asus!

Not sure what can be done but a nickels worth of free advise,, Always check the TRX file for the exact model number it is designed to be used on before you install it.

Now I can't access the router anymore at all. Connecting my computers to it will allow me to access other computers on the LAN, but the router doesn't seem to have an IP. I can't ping it, telnet doesn't work and none of the asus tools work either. I tried the 30 WPS flush, no dice.

Is there anything I can do to fix this?
Hi,

Calm down: You cannot brick the Ausus routers that easly... :D

The Firmware Restauration Tool is your friend, who will help you out! :rolleyes:
But this time make sure that you have
- downloaded the Firmware Resauration Tool for the RIGHT router
- downloaded and unzipped the Firmware for the RIGHT router

Have fun!

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

I just... did that and it started uploading the firmware only to end up in an error message once it had gotten halfaway through.

I switch it off and on again using the rescue mode but no matter how many times I try I get the message "The wireless router is not in rescue mode" using the Firmware Restoration tool... oO

Ok it worked thanks to your help.

I held the device in a vertical position in order for the reset button to register the pressure of my finger... Despite the 'click' sound it doesn't actually work in a horizontal position :D

I then needed a fixed IP address and gateway settings in order for it to work. Or at least that is what I think made the restoration process possible. I also installed the second newest firmware version first because I thought the newest one might just fail..

Anyways, to keep a long story short: send me your paypal adress and I'll send you for 5$ for beer. Help here is much appreciated ;)

Anyways, to keep a long story short: send me your paypal adress and I'll send you for 5$ for beer. Help here is much appreciated ;)
Hi,

Very kind, but not needed! I just expersessed my experiance. ;)
I am happy to hear that it finally worked out.

You already did something good to me by pressing the "Thank you!" button! :rolleyes:

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

For anyone else reading this. It is always good idea to set a static ip when using the firmware restoration tool.
Also set a continous ping 192.168.1.1 -t. This way you can track the progress. Ttl=100 waiting for firmware. Ttt=64 firmware is running on the router.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!