What's new

DIR-615 REVB2 with F/W 2.25 and DES-1105 Switch

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

A

alan3885

D-Link DIR-615 REVB2 with F/W 2.25 and DES-1105 Switch

I have a D-Link DIR-615 REVB2 Wireless Draft 2.0 802.11n router with F/W 2.25 and have enabled the QoS engine on the router and I am planning on adding a small D-Link 5-port basic switch (DES-1105) and was wondering is it good to have QoS on the switch since the DES-1105 does not have the QoS feature it only has 802.3x Flow Control featue so would QoS on a switch really make a difference if my router already has QoS?

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't need to worry about QoS features on the switch.

Remember that the Ubicom auto-QoS on the D-Link is upstream to the Internet only.

So why would anyone need QoS on a switch or unless you have a network with no internet access/router and just constant file sharing? I saw on the gigabit switches from D-Link they add IEEE 802.1p Qos Prioritization but why only on Gigabit switches?

Last edited by a moderator:
On simple unmanaged switches, support for 802.1p and other protocols simply means that the switch will properly pass packets with the bits used by the protocol.

It allows the switch to be used in larger networks that use those protocols.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!