What's new

Dir-655 b1

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Total guess on my part, but I'll suggest that its an A4 with Ubicom CPU removed and the Atheros 7161 added with 64MB RAM. And, hopefully Linux based firmware like the DIR-825 B1.

wanna see the 825 B1 Linux source code, click here: ftp://ftp.dlink.de/dir/dir-825/driver_software/

I sure hope the boys at DDWRT are paying attention to Dlink's move in the right direction...

FCC Docs. I wish all photos were this sharp.

Looks like this is more of an evolutionary change. Here's the A4 review for comparison.

2.4 GHz Radio: Atheros AR9223 (same as the WRT400N and DIR-825 B1)
Flash: Illegible
RAM: 64 MB DDR2.
CPU: 475 MHz Ubicom IP7150. Atheros has recently made significant inroads as a mainstream router CPU--but not this time. I'd like to see how the 7k series stacks up with Broadcom's BCM4718.
Switch: Gigabit Atheros AR8316.

As far as DD-WRT support is concerned, Ubicom announced OpenWRT support a few months back. I don't expect them to overcome Broadcom's momentum any time soon.

Looks like this is more of an evolutionary change. Here's the A4 review for comparison.

CPU: 475 MHz Ubicom IP7150. Atheros has recently made significant inroads as a mainstream router CPU--but not this time. I'd like to see how the 7k series stacks up with Broadcom's BCM4718.

As far as DD-WRT support is concerned, Ubicom announced OpenWRT support a few months back. I don't expect them to overcome Broadcom's momentum any time soon.

Dang, got that one wrong.

I bet the software dev teams at DLink just love that they keep moving from one design to another, and use multiple CPU vendors between similar products. Job security for them!

The PCB looks cheap though, but beef-up NPU and RAM should help this router out of the blues with the prior models with the DNS Relay (Reserved/Invoke) issues. B1 has been around in Asia markets for a year now. So this is going to be released here. STill a draft N model though.

At this point I'm skeptical of the existence of the originally sighted B1. No official documentation, zero availability in the field (someone, somewhere must own one, and Google doesn't support that assertion), and a parts list different from this version. I'm thinking the Asian market edition was somebody's typo.

The PCB looks cheap though, but beef-up NPU and RAM should help this router out of the blues with the prior models with the DNS Relay (Reserved/Invoke) issues. B1 has been around in Asia markets for a year now. So this is going to be released here. STill a draft N model though.

Better firmware programming is whats need to help this router.

As of last Friday all Draft N routers are officially N according to IEEE and the Wifi Alliance.

Better firmware programming is whats need to help this router.

As of last Friday all Draft N routers are officially N according to IEEE and the Wifi Alliance.

More like better engineering than the firmware. Yes I heard about that N standard being done deal.

More like better engineering than the firmware. Yes I heard about that N standard being done deal.

You may be right. A good test of this will be the DIR-825 B1. For this model DLink followed the Atheros reference design. I have a B1 and its not all sunshine just yet. The first firmware release could not hold the WAN connection. The second (current) release had a looong list of changes. Yes, they fixed the WAN drop, but there's plenty of other issues to still address. Check out the DLink forums if you want to know more...

You may be right. A good test of this will be the DIR-825 B1. For this model DLink followed the Atheros reference design. I have a B1 and its not all sunshine just yet. The first firmware release could not hold the WAN connection. The second (current) release had a looong list of changes. Yes, they fixed the WAN drop, but there's plenty of other issues to still address. Check out the DLink forums if you want to know more...

See they don't seem to fix the issues. I had to go with Belkin N+ never gone back, but would like the DIR-655 to use to extend the N in dead areas. I would better off buying another Belkin N+. To much issues with DNS Relay they don't seem to get that fix at DLINK. If I was them I would focus on fixing that or dropping out of the next line of Standard N.

where is rev b1 with the ip7150 processor?

ubicom is the only processor that can handle my load.

DIR-655 A2 with firmware 1.11 is running great
DGL-4500 A1 with firmware 1.15 is running great

but I want something new, I have had these running for over two years now!!!
the only hiccup I ever had was using newer firmwares, but downgrading to these firmwares fixed all my problems

where are all the three stream wireless n routers promising 450mbps????
I want to take advantage of my Intel wifi link 5300

Last edited:
where is rev b1 with the ip7150 processor?

ubicom is the only processor that can handle my load.

DIR-655 A2 with firmware 1.11 is running great
DGL-4500 A1 with firmware 1.15 is running great

but I want something new, I have had these running for over two years now!!!
the only hiccup I ever had was using newer firmwares, but downgrading to these firmwares fixed all my problems

where are all the three stream wireless n routers promising 450mbps????
I want to take advantage of my Intel wifi link 5300

How did you downgrade the DIR-655 A2? I have DIR-655 A3. Did you use the Russian firmware or something else?

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!