What's new

DIR-655 problems with 802.11b Orinoco WaveLan cards?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

flamaest

Regular Contributor
Has anyone had problems getting their DIR-655 working with an Orinoco WaveLan 10Mbps pcmcia card?

I cannot seem to get any of my legacy cards, silver or gold, to connect at all.

My DIR-655 router is enabled for all the 802.11 flavors, G/B/N. I disabled all of the encryption settings and still having issues connecting.

All my other 802.11N and G cards seem to connect OK.

My older Netgear 624 router was connecting just fine so nothing has changed but the router.

Help?
Fabian.

I can try this, but it begs the question.. why..?

Shouldn't this router work correctly with 802.11b NICs [specifically with an Orinoco wavelan Industry Standard 802.11b NIC] when we select any setting which includes 802.11b.

I noticed that if I select B/G/N I cannot connect at all with my Orinoco.

With B/G, I can 'connect', but I cannot "do" anything: like see any computers or even route to any internet sites, using either straight IP or even forcing my own openDNS servers. Also, DHCP will not deliver an IP to the Orinoco NIC, so I force an unused IP myself just to see how far I can link up.

I will try 'B-only' when I get home, but gosh, even if this works, doesn't this defeat the purpose/benefit of running a mixed 802.11 network?

see you on the flip side,
F.

Lots of protocol water has flowed over the dam since Orinoco ruled the 802.11 waves.

Yeah, everything should work wonderfully together. But there is plenty of room for implementation differences in all protocols. So that's why vendors provide the "X only" modes.

Any way, you sure don't want to run a mixed b/n network anyway, at least not if both flavors of devices will be busy simultaneously. Convert the old Netgear to an AP and let the Orinoco devices continue to use it.

"Convert the old Netgear to an AP and let the Orinoco devices continue to use it."

yeah, i might wind up doing this..

F.