What's new

DIR 655 vs DGL 4500

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

J

justin2net

I am primarily looking for the best bandwidth and range out of the two. QoS and wired routing speed is not a issue; it will function purely as an access point for wireless-only clients. (pfSense and dedicated switch)
Which one has the higher bandwidth? About 70 percent of the clients have N cards (4965, 5100, 5300, Atheros) and the rest G. Currently I am using a WRT54GS v1.0 (since 2004?) and there are some routing/speed issues (~2 MB/s, lots of latency, running Tomato firmware).

I've read that the 655 is 2.4 ghz band only, the 4500, dual band. I would've just purchased the 4500 but they are kind of old models...so perhaps asking here would be a good idea.

It will be for transferring/streaming media. No other Wifi networks in the vicinity. I can keep the WRT54GS for G access only if that would be a good idea (?)

The price difference is relatively small, so if the 4500 is worth the $ in the long run then so be it. Or look for some other models?

The DIR-655 and DGL-4500 are built on the same routing and radio platform.
If you look at the data in the Wireless Charts, you will see that they have essentially the same wireless performance.

Dual-band doesn't buy you anything unless your clients support 5 GHz operation. The advantage of 5 GHz is less interference (not an issue in your case), but reduced range.

If you have 11g clients, I would keep the WRT54GS and convert it to an AP and use it to support the 11g clients.

The DIR-655 and DGL-4500 are built on the same routing and radio platform.
If you look at the data in the Wireless Charts, you will see that they have essentially the same wireless performance.

Dual-band doesn't buy you anything unless your clients support 5 GHz operation. The advantage of 5 GHz is less interference (not an issue in your case), but reduced range.

If you have 11g clients, I would keep the WRT54GS and convert it to an AP and use it to support the 11g clients.

I'm just about ready to make my move and if I go D-link it's down to these two as well. If I buy the DGL 4500 then clearly my only option on matching adapter is the DWA 160 if I stay with the same brand all the way which is what I typically like to do.

Now, if I do this, based on everything you've said and a lot of other sources...I'll have 5Ghz available to me but if it's underpowered...what good if any does it do me to even bother having it or paying for it?

well i purchased the dgl-4500 for $140 CAN. not a bad price. frankly the extra 30 dollars for the 4500 is probably a good investment for future upgrades (considering my WRT54GS version 1.0 has lasted me 5-6 years)

CNet said:
One more thing: Wireless-N routers' radio spectrum consists of 11 channels. This means if they are all set up to use one channel each, there needs to be 12 or more routers/access points in an area to create a considerable amount of interference. Most Wireless-N routers offer the option of scanning and picking the unused channel by themselves.

Once again, CNet demonstrates their expertise.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Staff online