What's new

DIR-655 vs TEW-633GR for HD streaming

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ttran55

Regular Contributor
Hi,
I am torn between these two. Trendnet 633GR router is much cheaper, $40 less than the DIR-655.
I am building my HTPC and have a Promise Smartstor 4300 nas. The Smartstor is so noisy that I can't put it near my HTPC/TV stand so I have to stream it wirelessly. I am concerned about streaming HD movies(1080p) and photo slide show to my HDTV so please let me know which one I should buy. I read the reviews of both routers from Tim Higgins so many times I believe the Trendnet is on par with the DLINK but no one has mentioned to stream HD with the Trendnet.

Currently I am using Rangmax 824 and Airlink mimo pc card. I tested by copying 4GB movie to the NAS using wireless and it took 50 minutes, within 8ft.
Regards,
Kevin.

Last edited:
The review shows that neither product is consistently better than the other in all modes and uplink/downlink.

That said, performance could have changed since the review with hardware and firmware revisions.

Neither product (nor any other draft 11n product) is guaranteed to produce a flawless streaming HD experience. All depends on your setup, neighboring wireless traffic and the bandwidth that the HD content requires.

I do give D-Link, however, the edge over Trendnet for support and firmware updates. Trendnet is cheaper for a reason.

thanks for your response.
With my current Rangmax 824, I can stream movie (not HD) to laptop or PC without any problem but I doubt it will work for HD contents. I don't know how big is the buffer WinDVD or PowerDVD uses.

I came up with two solutions:
1. Buy Trendnet 633GR to have the WISH and gigabit port for my NAS and a PC wireless 11n card.

2. Buy pair of NETGEAR 5 GHz Wireless-N HD Access Point/Bridge (WNHDE111) and the advantage is that it operates at 5Ghz so no interference with other devices but it's costly.
Kevin.

HTPC project report

In previous posts, I was concerned about streaming movies/hd movies wirelessly to my HTPC so I did a lot of researches ( Tim's review, Forums) and bough these:
1. Netgear GS608
2. A pair of Netgear WNHDE111
3. Upgraded Promise NS4600 from NS4300.
I am able to streaming Video/HD video up to 1080P without any problem so I am happy even though it's not perfect as I wish. There are some delay time at the beginning when the WMC queries the libraries and when I browse through the movie/song lists. I am happy that all my valuable files are protected by Raid1 and accessible from any pc any time. I also end up having a second copy of my photo library locally in HTPC due to large file size (1-6MB) because it's not pleasant to browse them wirelessly at all. I don't think running slide show would be a problem.

I have a question: would it be faster for the WMC to query libraries if the WNHDE111 had 1Gb port? When I copied files from the NAS to my HTPC, windows 7 showed it was copying at 10MB/s. I am just wondering 10MB/s is the reality of the wireless N or just because the AP/Bridge didn't have the 1Gb port.

10 MB/s is 80 Mbps, which is pretty good for N, especially if you don't have router and client in the same room.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!