What's new

dir655 jumbo frames

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dieter

In Tim H's 655 review it states that jumbo frames work. I have not found a setup option which enables jumbo frames.

I also have a client PC which i set up for 7MTU (options being 1MTU to 7MTU). I'm assuming that 7MTU means about 10KB. I then used the command: ping -f -l 4088 192.168.1.1, which is the 655 router.

I got the response: Packet needs to be fragmented but DF set. There are no other devices between the client PC and the 655.

How do is know that jumbo frames are being passed by the 655.

Dieter

There is no jumbo frame enable. Jumbo frames up to 9k are automatically detected.

I don't know if pinging the router IP will work. I test by using two computers with NICS set to the same jumbo frame size and then running an IxChariot test, but a filecopy would work. If traffic passes, jumbo frames are working.

A ping test between two different computers connected to the router with jumbo frames enabled would do it.

While the file transfer failure can be a reliable indicator of lack of support, file transfer success is not necessarily -- the router could be fragmenting the packets.

It was quite some time ago that I tried, but I also had no luck with Jumbo frames on the dir-655.

Like the OP I used the ping -f command to verify if I was getting them or not.

thanks all, i need to get a jumbo frame enabled card for my 2nd PC and then test again. Looks like the Dlink PCI Xpress DGE-560T has some good reviews. It's a little expensive, but the others i found did not get good review re jumbo frames.

Anyway, thanks again.