What's new

Disable Specific WiFi channels - ASUS RT-AX88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BruceCleghorn

Occasional Visitor
Hey Chaps, hope you are all well
I run a 5 Node Mesh 1xRTAX88u Master with 4 slaves (RT-AX56U)

I've recently got into Home Automation in a Big way and I am using ZIgBee Wireless devices; for those that don't know these are very low bandwidth network devices running on their own 2.4GHZ WiFi Mesh; it's not possible for ZigBee to piggy back on the ASUS WiFi
Everything is pretty stable but it could be better. I'm manually able to select in ZigBee the 2.4GHZ WiFi channel I want to use (Industry recommendation is WiFi 2.4GHZ channel 25); which means if I can stop the ASUS WiFi using 2.4GHZ channel 11 then I'll have no 2.4GHZ overlap on any of the WiFi channels

I run vanilla code (not Merlin)
My question is, does anyone know of a way to select/deselect what channels the ASUS router is using (I can't find anything in the GUI)
Or does Merlin support this feature

Thanks everyone, sorry for the wordy question
Regards
Bruce

If anyone is interested in what I'm talking about, this is a very good read-up

Or you could set the zigbees to use a channel below wifi channel 11?
It's all well and good moving your WiFi away from channel 11, but what happens when a neighbour's wifi decides it would prefer 11 especially after you move yours away?

My question is, does anyone know of a way to select/deselect what channels the ASUS router is using (I can't find anything in the GUI)

Log into the router webUI, go to the Wireless settings, and set/save the control channel you want to try.

OE

Since AiMesh puts all nodes on the same WiFi channel, you can simply choose a fixed channel (rather than the default “Auto” selection) that doesn’t overlap with the ZigBee channel (e.g. 2.4GHz WiFi channel 1 or 6). No?

Hey mate
So do you mean the selection

=>Wireless
=> 2.4GHZ
=> Control Channel ? (Currently set to Auto)

I was hesitant as I wasn't 100% sure control channel was
So set this from Auto to 1 or 6

Since AiMesh puts all nodes on the same WiFi channel, you can simply choose a fixed channel (rather than the default “Auto” selection) that doesn’t overlap with the ZigBee channel (e.g. 2.4GHz WiFi channel 1 or 6). No?

Brilliant, thanks mate
That's what I've been looking at but was hesitant, THANKYOU

Or you could set the zigbees to use a channel below wifi channel 11?
It's all well and good moving your WiFi away from channel 11, but what happens when a neighbour's wifi decides it would prefer 11 especially after you move yours away?

Yeah thanks mate, they are around 15-20 meters away so hoping interference will be minimal. Thank you though

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!