What's new

Distance between Modem and AC68U Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cdikland

Regular Contributor
My modem was installed in a far corner of my basement and I connected my AC68U to it with 5' cable. I would like to move the router to a more central spot in my home. My question is, What, if any, is the performance hit I will take connecting my router to the modem using a 50' Ethernet cable as opposed to the 5' cable I use now??

You can go up to 300ft with a Cat5e Ethernet cable, and there won't be any performance impact (unless you had a pretty cheap cable, where there are abornal packet losses along the way).

I have done this, I plugged the modem into infrastructure ethernet (probably ~150' of cat 5e through the walls) and the other end into the AC68U instead of the switch. It worked really well with a 1Gbit link between the router and modem.