What's new

Dlink 655 vs 657

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hunter412

Occasional Visitor
Hi readers. Can someone tell me which wireless router is better? The 655 or the 657? Why are they nearly the same price?

Thanks

I'd say the 655 is better. Yes, it's older and nearly the same price, but the wireless coverage is probably better and you can always upgrade the antennas for more power, too. The 657 was found to have pretty terrible wireless range. Also, if you care about QoS (Quality of Service), the 655 has it, whereas the 657 does not. I think they are a similar price because technology has moved on and the 655 probably uses some components that never really got any cheaper to manufacture (I'm just guessing here). D-link has seemed IMO to be a bit like Apple and have some kind of price fixing structure, too.

Each router is about the same. I have both. The major differences is the QoS, the 657 has the next gen QoS engine. Both are great routers. The only thing is I wish they didn't use internal antennas. Still both are great working routers. ;)

Each router is about the same. I have both. The major differences is the QoS, the 657 has the next gen QoS engine. Both are great routers. The only thing is I wish they didn't use internal antennas. Still both are great working routers. ;)

My 4 DIR-655 routers (3 are APs) each have 3 external antennae, and I have changed one out to a directional antenna to aim at my guest house -- works great.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!