What's new

DLink DIR-825 recomendation

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

manna420

New Around Here
Hi

Im going to replace my current router Linksys WRT54G, with a new one. Iv been doing some hell alot of research in order to find the right one for me. I was initially going to buy the Dir655 but did read more about the 825 and now im getting confused. I have 3 laptops (G/N), 1 desktop (N), PS3(G) , and IP telefon. Reason why im replacing my current router is its poor performance when it comes to simultaneous connectivity. It keeps on restarting whenever i start a torrent download because of the poor RAM and ROM on it i guess.
So am i buying the right router? iv done my homework and read alot of articles on smartnetbuilder, thats why i have come to a conclusion of buying the 825, but i need some final thoughts and recommendations. Any help is appritiated.

Last edited:
If your main need is handling torrents, there are many routers that can do a fine job. Most of your clients are G, so you don't really need a dual band N router.

You might look at the ASUS RT-N13U and RT-N16 are supposed to be good for Torrent support.

hey. Thanks for answering. U know what, before reading ur reply, i came up with a conclution that im gonna buy the Asus RT-N16 because of the fact that it nails all the other router out there when it comes to torrent handling. It also supports the nettwork sharing with USB, and u can simply download the torrent files direct to the connected usb media, even if your computer is shut down. Its GUI is one of the best iv seen, it looks so nice that i just loved it. Another thing is that it works as a ftp server also. Thats another awsome feature. Set back is the poor wireless performance on a distance. I have a appt with 2 floors, the router and most of the laptops is gonna be on 2nd floor, my desktop and PS3 is gonna be on the 1st floor. I hope the communication between my desktop and PS3 in the first floor would work fine. I would love to be able to stream movies from my dekstop directly to the PS3. My Desktop have a Dlink DWA-547 Wireless card installed in it. So any ideas on that?

Successful wireless streaming, especially for HD content can be iffy. You need to know the bandwidth requirements of the content. The higher the bandwidth, the less chance of trouble-free streaming.

Methodology for measuring content bandwidth can be found in HD Streaming Smackdown: Draft 11n vs. Powerline.

Hi

Thanks alot for a very nice article on HD streaming. Streaming is suppose to be between my desktop and PS3, and since my PS3 only has a G wireless adapter, i dont think HD streaming would be a way to go. The dude in the article manage to get some nice streaming with N technology, still he got some glitches which you cant do anything with. So i guess ill be streaming some smaller size videos then. Ethernet cables is the best way to go for streaming. Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!