What's new

dLink dir-855l vs asus rt-n66u can't decide

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Krackt

New Around Here
Firstly, let me say I am a noob, but I can grasp the basics fairly easily. I can't decide which router I want to go with, but I have my eyes on either dLink's dir-855l (the cylindrical, cloud router) or the asus rt-n66u.

While there are plenty of reviews on the Asus, information on the dlink model is sadly lacking. Every time I do a search for that model, I get sent to reviews on the dir-855 extreme duo whatchamacallit thingamajig (I know, extremely technical there). has anyone heard about this model?

My ultimate goal is to have a simple home network, and while currently I do not have a lot of wireless devices, I do have a medium sized house (not really wide, but fairly long). I am open to other suggestions, N900 is about the only thing im dead set on, just need something that is more or less stable, and can provide a decent amount of coverage in my house.

Any help is appreciated.

centrally locate the WiFi router, or if house is large/long, use one WiFi router and 1+ access points.

Recommendation: ASUS is overkill. D-Link is not top shelf. Look at the reviews here. Quality varies widely among model numbers, but IMO, D-Link is inconsistent. As is Netgear. Opinion.

An N900 class router is not inherently better than an N600 class. You get a throughput advantage only if you have N450 class clients. Most wireless devices are N150 or N300.

There are many N609 routers that are reasonably priced and decent performers. Check the Router Ranker.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!