What's new

DLINK DIR655 and Internet Connect

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

D

degussadyl

I have a very strange problem. I have a desktop using wireless dangle to connect to the DLINK router. It can connect to the router but it can not go to internet. However, I can use an ethernet cable connect to the router then wireless connection works. But I will loose the wireless connection to internet every time I reboot my computer. Any idea what happened? Thanks.

When you are connected wirelessly, check the wireless adapter's TCP/IP properties and make sure that the Gateway and DNS entries match what you see in the desktop's Ethernet adapter TCP/IP settings.

Tcp/ip

They matched. I think I am not getting the IP address from the router to my computer. All other computers connected without problem. Just this one. Very strange.

What is the IP address you get when connecting wirelessly and what is it when connecting via Ethernet?

Also make sure that you are connecting to your wireless router.

I helped debug a problem once where it turned out that the person was connecting to his neighbor's wireless network that had the same default factory SSID!

connected

Here is my IP address information (when I am connected):

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : hsd1.il.comcast.net.
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Airlink101 Wireless USB Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1D-6A-3F-C4-07
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::a91d:e1f8:8d87:b956%17(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.193(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, October 25, 2008 6:55:59 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, October 26, 2008 6:55:59 AM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

PS. I am connected to my wireless network not to my neighbors.

That all looks ok. What did you mean in the earlier post "I think I am not getting the IP address from the router to my computer"?

Does the wireless connection still work after you remove the Ethernet connection?

Lost connection when I reboot my computer

I will only connect to the router but can not go to internet unless I connect this computer with a ethernet cable to the Dlink 655 router. Then I can go to internet even without the ethernet cable. Till I reboot again.

Is your computer running Vista? If so, you may have to adjust the security properties for the Wireless adapter.

Vista

Yes. I tried different security level as well. Still the same.

Sorry, but that's all I have for you. Maybe someone else can help.

Try doing some pinging to see if dns is getting buggered. Ping google via a wired connection, reboot, and then ping again on wireless only. See if it can resolve the address. It still might not actually ping if you're having other problems, but it's a starting point. The wireless connection might not be getting the right DNS info.

Perhaps try all out resetting the router to factory settings.

Thank you very much.

Really appreciate your help. I will follow your instruction and ask some else to help me.

Not sure if this even pertains to your issue but Did you turn on Network Filter MAC only allow rule?

Last night I was working with a new dir-655 and turned this rule on. On other older routers this rule only applied to the wireless devices so but on the 655 it seems to apply both to wired and wireless devices. Also the way the rule reads to me on the d-link explanation box is that it won't allow a device that is not added to the list to access the internet but the device still can connect to the router. From my experience though if it's not listed and you have ALLOW ONLY it won't allow the device to even connect to the router.

Last edited:

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!