What's new

DMZ - Not 100% DMZ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kim_1138

New Around Here
Hi

I have a VoIP/SIP box that I am trying to get working behind my RT-N66U running latest Merlin. I thought it would be easiest just assigning a static IP and enabled DMZ for that IP.

If i plug the box in the network outlet without using my router everything works just fine BUT if I plug in the router and the box in one of the LAN connection of the router outgoing calls don't work.

Based on this I just assumed that DMZ isn't exactly like bypassing the router 100%.

Any ideas?

Regards

Joakim

Hi

I have a VoIP/SIP box that I am trying to get working behind my RT-N66U running latest Merlin. I thought it would be easiest just assigning a static IP and enabled DMZ for that IP.

If i plug the box in the network outlet without using my router everything works just fine BUT if I plug in the router and the box in one of the LAN connection of the router outgoing calls don't work.

Based on this I just assumed that DMZ isn't exactly like bypassing the router 100%.

Any ideas?

Regards

Joakim

DMZ should be as you expect, so I am with you regarding the confusion...

As I understand SIP, it is usually a single port, so DMZ is over-kill. Port-forwarding should be a safer, simpler solution.

Can you give us more info about your setup?

My setup is as follows:

Fiber->Switch (from operator, splitting incoming to 3 LAN ports, TV, phone, internet)->Asus->Internal net->SIP box

The reason for not connecting the SIP box to Phone port is that I want to split the signal to go to all my old analog phone outlets in the house + that I don't want to use a 20+meter long cable to do this. Connecting it to my internal net enables this because I have a LAN port in the room I want to place the SIP Box.

The reason for DMZ is that I tried a bunch of port forwards based on what the operator told me (+ a lot of digging in Swedish forums).

Asus settings:
NAT on
Firewall on
UPnP on
SIP Passthrough disabled (tried both)
Static IP for SIP box (tried dynamic and no port forwards to try to use UPnP)
Respond Ping Request from WAN Yes (usually No)
NAT Loopback Merlin

Port forwarding:
UDP 69
TCP 443
TCP 80 (I'm running router webaccess on port 19xx so I don't think there is a collision here)
UDP 1025:65535 (I know, overkill)
TCP 5000:5500

I think this is all...

You'd probably have more success contacting the manufacturer of the box or the service provider.

You haven't given us any information about the SIP box (make, model number) or the service provider you're connecting to.

Also, what is the switch that your service provider has given you? Can you plug the SIP box into any of its outlets or does it have to be a specific one?

Edit: Can you clarify - You say that incoming calls work but outgoing calls don't? When making an outgoing call does the phone ring normally, but when the call is answered there is no audio? If so this is a classic VoIP NAT problem.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!