What's new

Solved DNS Director AX88U Pro

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

fotingo

Regular Contributor
Tried to search for the issue I am having with DNS Director but did not find it.

I use Pihole as my DNS server and set it up exactly the same way as it was on my previous router AC86U and it was working great.

I configured the Pihole IP in the LAN DHCP as it was on the AC86U.

1722195929646.png

With this AX88U Pro on the latest Merlin firmware 3004.388.8, I see when using Router as the "global setting" in DNS Director, it breaks internet for all devices.
I have to either turn off DNS Director, or set the Pihole IP in one of the User Defined boxes and set that as the global setting.

I didn't have to do this before. Using Router worked great and all devices connected to the router would use the Pihole DNS automatically.
Is there anything I'm missing or is there a known issue with DNS Director for this model?

1722196078879.png

You have to exclude your Pi-hole from redirecting, obviously.
Yes!, that's what I was missing. I had excluded the Proxmox machine, but forgot to exclude the actual Pihole server.
Google server is there by default twice...not added by me.

Thanks man!

Global Redirection - Router
Pi-hole IP - No Redirection

Remove Google DNS servers.

@bennor Yes, I had actually followed your instructions when I set up my AC86U, but I just forgot to add the pihole server to "No redirection".

One last thing regarding DNS... on my AC86U, there was an option to "Advertise DNS to clients" which allowed me to use the Pihole DNS when connecting to my network from outside the LAN.

1722201208015.png

But, I can't find that option on this router. Do you guys know where that could be or if it's named something different?

EDIT:
Found it!

EDIT:
Found it!
To help others who may be reading your discussion, post where that setting is located on your RT-AX88U router.