What's new

DNS Director - Proprietary?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pjd50

Regular Contributor
Hi all. My RT-AC68Us are heading to End of Life. I was thinking of upgrading to another ASUS Router since I like Merlin so much, but for a number of complicated reasons I may have to use a PFSense/OpenSense router (or a LinkSys Router running Open-WRT / DD-WRT).

One of the main features I use and love is DNS Director. Specifically the ability to have global redirection to a DNS server (in this case, AdGuard Home running on my NAS), but SELECTIVELY have "No Redirect" set for the NAS in the Client List.

Is this type of unique configuration proprietary to Merlin (or at least the simple interface that allows one to achieve this)? I tried Googling and it got very complicated re: setting up selective iptables ... is that the way to go if I have to move on from Merlin?

Basically, if you guys tell me I have to use Merlin to use DNS Director, I will find the cash to get a new ASUS router that can run Merlin ... or if it's a configuration that can be done on DD-WRT or PFSense I may go in that direction since it will save me a lot of $ especially in this economy. Thanks!

You can easily reproduce DNS Director's behaviour on any router that runs under Linux - DNS Director is just a few iptables rules. No idea about how to achieve similar results with pfsense however.

I’ve seen examples online for DNS interception and redirection in pfSense along with known DoH servers blocking. Not very hard to do.