What's new

DNS-over-TLS?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I don't know to be honest? I know Dnscrypt isn't a proper standard but I'm not sure uf DNS-over-TLS is either? Anyway, I'm using Quad9 DNS right now and they haven't implemented Dnscrypt yet, only DNS-over-TLS, they are looking into it however. The problem I have with Dnscrypt is that many of the servers seem a bit unstable, sometimes they don't resolve certain hostnames etc and some of them like dnscrypt.eu-dk doesn't work at all for me anymore..

I don't know to be honest? I know Dnscrypt isn't a proper standard but I'm not sure uf DNS-over-TLS is either? Anyway, I'm using Quad9 DNS right now and they haven't implemented Dnscrypt yet, only DNS-over-TLS, they are looking into it however. The problem I have with Dnscrypt is that many of the servers seem a bit unstable, sometimes they don't resolve certain hostnames etc and some of them like dnscrypt.eu-dk doesn't work at all for me anymore..
Quad9 DNS has its own issues I think considering its set up with the City of London Police as a founding organisation, which then makes me think of GCHQ etc. I'm quite happy with my ISP's DNS (Idnet) and a VPN. I know my information is stored etc but the VPN gives me the privacy I want and IDnets DNS servers are very reliable and they use DNSCrypt as well.

Last edited:
Quad9 DNS has its own issues I think considering its set up with the City of London Police as a founding organisation, which then makes me think of GCHQ etc. I'm quite happy with my ISP's DNS (Idnet) and a VPN. I know my information is stored etc but the VPN gives me the privacy I want and IDnets DNS servers are very reliable.

I didn't know City of London Police was involved, thanks! That alone makes me a bit uneasy cosidering the where the UK seems to be heading...

Not sure I want to use my ISP DNS even though I use a Pi-Hole to filter ads etc but I know a couple of local VPN providers which provide a public non-logging DNS I could use, those are not Dnscrypt though. I don't run a VPN client on my router so I would like all my network to be as protected as possible... :)

I didn't know City of London Police was involved, thanks! That alone makes me a bit uneasy cosidering the where the UK seems to be heading...

Not sure I want to use my ISP DNS even though I use a Pi-Hole to filter ads etc but I know a couple of local VPN providers which provide a public non-logging DNS I could use, those are not Dnscrypt though. I don't run a VPN client on my router so I would like all my network to be as protected as possible... :)
Some info about Quad9 and a quote from the article. "The Alliance (GCA) was co-founded by the City of London Police, the District Attorney of New York County and the Center for Internet Security" :)

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/11/20/quad9_secure_private_dns_resolver/

Some info about Quad9 and a quote from the article. "The Alliance (GCA) was co-founded by the City of London Police, the District Attorney of New York County and the Center for Internet Security" :)

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/11/20/quad9_secure_private_dns_resolver/

Yes, that's the one that came up when I searched for it after you told me about it! I usually read The Reg articles so I don't know how I missed that one. Never saw those details before in all the press releases... *puts on tinfoil hat*

Well, I personally use dnscrypt-proxy to keep my privacy. I hope I do not do something illegal to hide my activity in Internet for my ISP or for others including government services, but I just want to use my human rights for keeping my privacy. Although I know that it is worldwide tendency to make our activity in Internet traceable for government services.

Anyway, I'm using Quad9 DNS right now and they haven't implemented Dnscrypt yet, only DNS-over-TLS, they are looking into it however. The problem I have with Dnscrypt is that many of the servers seem a bit unstable, sometimes they don't resolve certain hostnames etc and some of them like dnscrypt.eu-dk doesn't work at all for me anymore..

I checked you are right, dnscrypt.eu-dk really unreachable now. It is why I suggest to use at least 3-4 servers, not single one. I use six and all of them are in different countries.

Some info about Quad9 and a quote from the article. "The Alliance (GCA) was co-founded by the City of London Police, the District Attorney of New York County and the Center for Internet Security"

IMO the best way to break your privacy is to organize for you own service for “keeping privacy” with full access to your secrets :).

I'd like to get more arguments Stubby vs dnscrypt-proxy to include it into FW.

Voxel.

Well, I personally use dnscrypt-proxy to keep my privacy. I hope I do not do something illegal to hide my activity in Internet for my ISP or for others including government services, but I just want to use my human rights for keeping my privacy. Although I know that it is worldwide tendency to make our activity in Internet traceable for government services.

I checked you are right, dnscrypt.eu-dk really unreachable now. It is why I suggest to use at least 3-4 servers, not single one. I use six and all of them are in different countries.

IMO the best way to break your privacy is to organize for you own service for “keeping privacy” with full access to your secrets :).

Voxel.

Yeah too bad, dnscrypt.eu-dk was very fast for me. I've dropped them an email asking what's up. I'll certainly consider using multiple dnscrypt servers, I just want servers which are as close as possible to my location so the latency is reduced.

I'm not overly concerned about spying and monitoring of my internet activity because I live in a country which is pretty decent in that regard but still you never know...

Here's another DNS-over-TLS..

https://tenta.com/dns-setup-guides

I believe Google is going to implement DNS-over-TLS on Android in the near future?

Yeah too bad, dnscrypt.eu-dk was very fast for me. I've dropped them an email asking what's up. I'll certainly consider using multiple dnscrypt servers, I just want servers which are as close as possible to my location so the latency is reduced.
There is a checker to test what server(s) is(are) best for you (should be run from Windows):

https://github.com/bitbeans/dnscrypt-measurement

it requires dnscrypt-resolvers.csv. Latest is available from this link:

https://github.com/jedisct1/dnscrypt-proxy/raw/master/dnscrypt-resolvers.csv

You can check for an alternative of dnscrypt.eu-dk.

Voxel.

There is a checker to test what server(s) is(are) best for you (should be run from Windows):

https://github.com/bitbeans/dnscrypt-measurement

it requires dnscrypt-resolvers.csv. Latest is available from this link:

https://github.com/jedisct1/dnscrypt-proxy/raw/master/dnscrypt-resolvers.csv

You can check for an alternative of dnscrypt.eu-dk.

Voxel.

Thanks, much appreciated!

Is there a way to update resolvers.csv in your firmware? I know there were some updates lately...

Thanks, much appreciated!

Is there a way to update resolvers.csv in your firmware? I know there were some updates lately...
Usually I include latest version to my release.

You can copy fresh downloaded resolvers.csv manually (from telnet/ssh console) e.g. from USB stick, something like:

Code:
/etc/init.d/dnscrypt-proxy stop
cp  /mnt/sda1/dnscrypt-resolvers.csv /usr/share/dnscrypt-proxy/
/etc/init.d/dnscrypt-proxy start

Voxel.

Usually I include latest version to my release.

You can copy fresh downloaded resolvers.csv manually (from telnet/ssh console) e.g. from USB stick, something like:

Code:
/etc/init.d/dnscrypt-proxy stop
cp  /mnt/sda1/dnscrypt-resolvers.csv /usr/share/dnscrypt-proxy/
/etc/init.d/dnscrypt-proxy start

Voxel.

Excellent, thanks for the help!

Voxel.

@Voxel I just tried dnscrypt.eu-dk on a Raspberry Pi with dnscrypt and it looks like it's working fine, any idea why?

Hmm, all of a sudden dnscrypt.eu-dk works on my router again...

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online