What's new

dnsmasq: failed to create listening socket for 192.168.1.1: Address already in use

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bibikalka

Regular Contributor
Alright, my router: RT-AC86U. A few addons, rebooted nightly on schedule by cru.
Code:
5 4 * * * /sbin/service 'reboot' #ScheduledReboot#

Since about version RT-AC86U_386.12_6, give or take, in certain configurations I get this particular error upon auto-reboot once every few days:
Code:
Sep 25 04:06:56 RT-AC86U-9988 dnsmasq[4888]: failed to create listening socket for 192.168.1.1: Address already in use
This particular address [192.168.1.1] is the router itself.

At this point the router stops assigning DHCP IP addresses. A cure is to reboot with the button, in a few really severe cases I had to unplug the power supply for ~10 seconds, replug.

I'd say the issue sort of appeared when ~ dnsmasq was updated to version 2.90.

In random configurations this happens intermittently, in other random configurations it does not.

Once I tried to wipe/restore /jffs from the backup - did not cure the issue while it was happening.

For example, router is issue free for ~ a month, running RT-AC86U_386.13_2. At the end of August 2024 I update Entware packages, and nothing else. I start getting this error every few days. A few days later I turned on Samba sharing, the issue is gone, no issue for a couple of weeks.

3 days ago I updated to RT-AC86U_386.14, some reboots are fine, but I got this issue today again. Downgraded back to 386.13_2 just now, hopefully things are back to stable.

Something residual in memory upon warm reboot creates the issue, but not always.

Thoughts?

Are you running any third party scripts?

If so, remove them, reset to factory defaults, and configure from there...