What's new

Do I need a new cable modem?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RogerSC

Part of the Furniture
Didn't see a good place to post this question, so thought that I'd ask it here. Comcast has just raised my download speed from 25 to 150Mbps. I currently have an Arris 722g cable modem, and am wondering if it should be replaced with an Arris 822g modem. I'm not sure that 4 bonded channels is enough for 150Mbps, or if 8 would be better?

The reason that I'm asking is that I'm not quite getting to 150Mbps, only about 125-135Mbps. But I'm not sure if that's because of the cable modem or not.

Thanks!

Yes, that's what I'm thinking, but I wasn't sure if each channel was 30Mbps or 40Mbps...I would expect more than 150Mbps from Comcast, if it's the usual way that they provision things. When I had 25Mbps, I got 27Mbps initially, then it went up to 30Mbps. So I might see up to 180Mbps, if the modem that I had would easily do that.

I'll give it some thought, though, before I do it. Still hoping to get Gb. fiber here at some point, at which time I'll most likely need yet a different modem. Pretty sure that Comcast raised our speed after leaving it where it was for several years because of the fact that the city is working on bringing Gb. fiber here. But it could take a couple of years to get fiber put in the city out to where I live.

Thanks.

From what i have read a 4x4 modem will max out around 130 mbps so at the 150 tier most are getting close to 180 mbps due to over provisioning you will need at least a 8x4 modem and i personally would get a 16x4 then your future proffed for awhile. Enjoy those speeds i have comcast here and have Blast we just went from 50/10 to 75/10 but always get more 90/12. :)

Yes, I pretty much verified this by connecting directly to the modem. Got only about 135Mbps., which is a lot compared to 25-30Mbps, but seems a bit low compared to what's on the line. So I've ordered an Arris TM822g, and hope to get that provisioned with the help of Comcast. They've been so helpful in the past *smile*.

Last edited:
Yes, I pretty much verified this by connecting directly to the modem. Got only about 135-130Mbps., which is a lot compared to 25-30Mbps, but seems a bit low compared to what's on the line. So I've ordered an Arris TM822g, and hope to get that provisioned with the help of Comcast. They've been so helpful in the past *smile*.

Good luck Roger. ;)

Thanks, Kal-EL.

One interesting thing that I noticed was that the desktop computer in the downstairs bedroom that's connected by MoCA to the router now gets a download speed of about 95Mbps on speed tests. That made me pretty happy, since I didn't think that the MoCA that I have could go that fast.

Speed tests are of short duration, though, but still encouraging. I really like MoCA, very reliable and consistent. I'm still curious if powerline networking, like the PL1200's, have passed up the old 100Mbps MoCA consistently enough to think about that.

Last edited:
Just a followup. Got the new Arris TM822g modem with 8 bonded channels, and got it activated. Instead of the ~135Mbps I was getting with the Arris TM722g, now I'm getting 180Mbps. The activation process with Comcast really was painless. Since I already own a modem, they didn't give me any problems, just got the information that they needed to activate it and brought it up. Took a little longer than normal because of the VoIP, but a couple of tries and they had it all going.

Actually made me happy with Comcast for a change *smile*. They did a good job, no hassle, very polite. The person I dealt with had a Canadian accent, so that may explain the politeness *smile*.

I have an Arris DOCSIS 3 cable modem. Owned by cableCo.
8 bonded channels. Each runs QAM 256. 37dB SNR (excellent)
I get 56Mbps net yield per speedTest.net and best-server.
I pay for top tier residential service. $$$$$$

What's the magic you have with Comcast?

And what's the upstream speed? Mine's just 5Mbps. 4 channels, 2@64QAM, 2@16QAM.

Timer Warner (yuck to the max)

It's not magic, we've suffered for years with 25Mbps top tier broadband internet here in Santa Cruz. In fact, if I hadn't paid extra per month, I would have had 16Mbps until the beginning of this week. A really popular independent ISP here started working with the city council to bring in Gb. fiber a few months ago, and suddenly I'm getting 150Mbps internet (provisioned at the 180Mbps) "for the same price" from Comcast. Of course it's the same price, we've been paying the "same price" for years that Comcast users that are getting 100Mbps or more pay. In other words, we've been getting ripped off for years, and a whiff of real competition and Comcast folds like a cheap suit *smile*. I thought it was more likely that they'd go to court to try to enforce their "franchise", they've done that many times.

I still want to see the Gb. fiber, since I'd love to have a Gb. connection. And would really rather not pay my long-time oppressor any more money. In fact, I'd love to give Comcast a big raspberry and a rude hand sign as I walked away from them. Hopefully this won't derail the local ISP from providing Gb. fiber...

Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot, 12Mbps upstream.

Just a followup. Got the new Arris TM822g modem with 8 bonded channels, and got it activated. Instead of the ~135Mbps I was getting with the Arris TM722g, now I'm getting 180Mbps. The activation process with Comcast really was painless. Since I already own a modem, they didn't give me any problems, just got the information that they needed to activate it and brought it up. Took a little longer than normal because of the VoIP, but a couple of tries and they had it all going.

Actually made me happy with Comcast for a change *smile*. They did a good job, no hassle, very polite. The person I dealt with had a Canadian accent, so that may explain the politeness *smile*.

Excellent glad it worked out good for you. Enjoy those blazing speeds !!! :D