What's new

Do I Need a second router or Extender for my odd request...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

redzone

New Around Here
So i live in a fairly small 3 story home.

Heres my setup
My cable internet only has an access port in the 2nd floor or basement.
I have a physical wire ran from the upstairs to the main floor. where my main htpc sits.
I have a nighthawk R7000 on the 2nd floor serving my printer/ nas/ game pc wired and an htpc wirelessly.
I get good coverage through the main floor with 5 ghz but loose it in the basement.
On the main floor I have an htpc, ps3, reciever wires and wifi speaker, tv wireless.
the basement has an htpc.

Soooo basically I am looking for a way to replace the old 100 base router. I came up with 2 options but not sure if i am on the right path so please let me know!

Option 1
Buy new inexpensive router with good routing put upstairs(any suggestions for what one to buy) disable 5ghz . Use 2.4ghz to serve my wireless G items (wifi speaker / ps3) this should speed up my R7000 networks.
Move R7000 to the main floor set as access point and serve up 2.4ghz / 5 ghz N / AC. This should solve coverage issues in the basement.

Option 2
Leave R7000 upstairs and serve up 2.4ghz / 5 ghz N / AC.
Buy EX7000 or similar extender. Place on main floor and set up the ex7000s 5ghz to extend the R7000 5ghz., use the ex7000's 2.4ghz to serve b/g/n clients.

Question. If I do option 2. Is there a way to make the extender use the wired port to get the internet yet still look like 1 5ghz network(aka the R7000 and EX7000 look like 1 access point like a normal extender i think?)

I would think option 1 is cheaper but Feel like option 2 will give me better coverage overall. Plus the R7000 has been solid so I dont know if i want to use another device for routing. If it aint broke dont fix it idea. lol

I mostly want to avoid having to manual select a second 5 ghz when i go to the basement as the signal will still show up but its connected at like 12 mbps. Option 2 sounds like i can do this im just not sure if i can mix it like i want. Can I really make only the 5ghz extend and make the 2.4ghz a new access point?

Thanks all for the help.

Red

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!