What's new

Do I need to change channel on second Access Point

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jerryk

Regular Contributor
Hi,

I have 2 Netgear 3700s acting as wifi APs in my house on different floors. Do I need to set the 5GHZ channels differently on the two units to avoid interference? Does this have any impact on someone that move the wifi device? For example walks upstairs with their computer still on.

Generally, you want to have multiple APs on different channels.

Different channels won't present a problem when a client moves from AP to AP. For smoothest transition, use the same SSID and wireless security settings on both APs. You may still get a short connection break when moving between APs, however.

Tim,

Thanks for the information.

We also noticed that a client on the 2.4 GHz radio was experiencing stalls ever few seconds when playing an online game like WOW. Could this also be caused by the computer seeing both APs? I changed (they were on auto, now on 1 and 11) the channels and hope the issue clears up.

Jerry

Last edited:
OK to have both on same channel as long as total traffic load on one AP for all users doesn't overload.

Channels 1, 6 or 11.

Also, locking to a channel vs. auto channel probably helps.

Don't use Auto channel select. To check to see which channel would be more ideal in your environment. Do it manually and use inSSIDER program on a laptop near each AP and see how well the RSSi (received signal strength indicator ) between -20dBm to -60dBm is a very good range.

Same SSID, Passcode only~! Don't use the same channel though.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!