What's new

DOCSIS 3.0 Modem, Router, NAS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

designerlabelgal

New Around Here
I tried finding something already posted and was unsuccessful - so I apologize if this is redundant.

I am a little rusty with regards to terminology - so if I don't use the correct terms - please forgive me.

I run a small graphic design company (ecommerce - appoximately 100 orders at a time) from my home. I just found out that the cable modem I am using from my service provider (COX) is obsolete.

I have implemented Google Apps and am in the process of implementing a cloud based Enterprise Business Management Software Application Suite.

My current configuration:
- Toshiba PCX2600 Cable Modem
- Linksys WWRT160N Wireless Router
- Western Digital Worldbook NAS
- Operating System - Desktop - Vista Home Premium

I have high demands both for the internet, desktop, laptop and network. I can not afford downtime and slow speeds.

I need to upgrade my cable modem and it was suggested to get a DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem.

My thoughts - I might as well upgrade everything so I can grow into the technology and to get the maximum speed possible.

Ideal scenario - combo modem/router with NAS capabilility so i can be anywhere and access the network.

Let me know what other information you need in order to make suggestions.

Who told you that your cable modem is obsolete? Even if it is, what problems are you having with it?

If you decide to upgrade, Cox should have one available to buy.

You may not have to change your router. Depends on the speed of your Internet service. The WRT160N will handle 80 Mbps up and down.

If you are connecting to your NAS wirelessly, the WD WorldBook is fine. If you are using a wired connection, you might want a faster NAS, depending on the exact model you have.

Cox actually told me it is obsolete.

I have Cox'x Internet Premium service:
Download speeds up to 25 Mbps
Upload speeds up to 2 Mbps
Download speeds with PowerBoost® up to 30 Mbps
Upload speeds with PowerBoost® up to 3 Mbps

Maybe they just want to sell you a new modem? Why not just get a new one from them? I have no recommendation on Cable modems because I can't test them.

Your router is fine to handle those speeds.

Cox actually told me it is obsolete.

I have Cox'x Internet Premium service:
Download speeds up to 25 Mbps
Upload speeds up to 2 Mbps
Download speeds with PowerBoost® up to 30 Mbps
Upload speeds with PowerBoost® up to 3 Mbps

Those speeds should work fine with a DOCSIS 2 modem. If you need to upgrade to DOCSIS 3 for some reason get a Motorola 6120. You can get @ Amazon for about $75.

Thank you so much - that is what I was thinking as well - purchasing the Motorola 6120 Modem.

Much Appreciated.

Sherri

Last edited: