What's new

Does having two hardrives instead of one affect remote video streaming quality?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

heehee62

Occasional Visitor
I just bought a Synology DS213. I'm trying to decide whether to get two hard drives for it or one.

I'm already going to remotely backup to a wd mybook live in another house.

My main concern is how well I can remotely stream videos both from a laptop and from mobile devices like a galaxy s4 and a mini ipad.

Does having two hard drives working as a pair improve remote video streaming abilities a lot or does it not even make a difference? If it doesn't, I'm leaning towards just getting one harddrive.

Thanks.

I just bought a Synology DS213. I'm trying to decide whether to get two hard drives for it or one.

I'm already going to remotely backup to a wd mybook live in another house.

My main concern is how well I can remotely stream videos both from a laptop and from mobile devices like a galaxy s4 and a mini ipad.

Does having two hard drives working as a pair improve remote video streaming abilities a lot or does it not even make a difference? If it doesn't, I'm leaning towards just getting one harddrive.

Thanks.

You would put in a 2nd HD for redundancy (that's what the R in RAID stands for) in case the other HD should fail, in this setting there is no performance benefit to multiple drives.

The most important things you can do are to hardwired it to your router and have the best possible connection between your clients and router.

Once you get it going it has all sorts of live info you can monitor on its CPU utilization & speeds at which it is sending traffic across your LAN/WLAN.

Great. I think I'll just get one harddrive and save me some money then.

Thanks a lot.

No prob. And if you want to add another one at some point in the future (for redundancy), you can do that.

On their website Synology a list of drive models that they recommend. Personally I use a pair of WD Reds, they are pretty economical and reliable so far.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!