What's new

Does Linksys DMA2100 have Library Limits?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

R

rabdcd

Hi to Everyone

I'm running Windows Ultimate on a Sony Vaio Notebook

I have a wireless set-up via a Linksys wireless N router

I connected hard wire from the router to the DMA2100 then TV I have a NAS which holds my media connected to the same router.

My note book has no trouble finding and playing all the media stored on the NAS however the DMA2100 shows watching the shared file on the NAS but will not add any music the library but strangely it does show the album art in the pictures library.

If I add music direct to the hard drive on my notebook it will to the extenders library

There is a lot of music on my NAS and the DMA2100 does make an initial attempt to find files but stops after a minute or so adding nothing I was wondering if there was limits to the library or if I need to try spoon feeding small amounts of music to build up the music library although in saying that I do have a large collection of photos and there doesn't appear to be any issues with finding them

I have switched everything off and back on I have reinstalled the software but the media extender refuses to add music files.

Its driving me insane and any help would be grateful accepted

Have you forced the DMA2100 to rescan all your media folders?

DMA2100 Music Library

Hi

If by forced you mean go back into the library set up and tick the box again then Yes I have every time I get the same box saying scanning for folders the progress bar increases giving an indication that its found the files generally it counts to about 60 disappears and nothing is added

From what I can gather by a quick scan of the Linksys Forum, the DMA2100 logs in as a client to the Vista Media Center machine. So it's not the DMA2100 that you need to get to scan your NAS, but the Vista machine.

If this clue doesn't help, I suggest asking over in the Linksys Forum.

Linksys Library

Hi Tim

The vista laptop has no trouble finding the music on the NAS and it all shows in the laptop library and I can play the music no problem stored on the NAS via media player or media center via the laptop I just can't get the music to show on the DMA2100 library even though the NAS Share shows as a file being watched.

If I move music from the NAS directly to the My Music File on my Laptop it immediately shows on the DMA2100 library and I can play it through my home theatre system so there appears to be some configuration issue between the NAS and the DMA2100 its probably something simple but I’ve spent hours and hours trying to make it work without success

I’ve also tried the Linksys forums and must say I’m disappointed trying to contact Linksys and after waiting for hours to have a live chat with an adviser they said Sorry we don’t offer advice on the DMA you need to call technical advice YES RIGHT!!!!! it’s impossible and after spending may hours trying to figure out the problem I’ve got that feeling Linksys haven’t got it quite right and maybe it’s easier to stick a CD into the home theatre system it’s certainly a lot less hassle

I’ve also tried the Linksys forums and must say I’m disappointed trying to contact Linksys and after waiting for hours to have a live chat with an adviser they said Sorry we don’t offer advice on the DMA you need to call technical advice YES RIGHT!!!!! it’s impossible and after spending may hours trying to figure out the problem I’ve got that feeling Linksys haven’t got it quite right and maybe it’s easier to stick a CD into the home theatre system it’s certainly a lot less hassle
It's very disappointing that a company the size of Cisco can't provide good customer service for its consumer products.
Does the NAS share have any login or protection? Have you tried a factory default reset on the DMA?
I hear you on using a CD. My wife refuses to deal with playing networked music. She wants the CD player back in the entertainment center!

Linksys DMA2100 Problems

Hi Tim

I’ve disabled the NAS protection and media server capabilities and whilst I don’t claim to be an expert on networks I’ve done just about every kind of configuration I can muster rebooted everything goodness knows how many times and still it refuses to obey the most annoying this is the DMA2100 hooked up to the TV can show me all the album art from the NAS but not the actual music anyway I’m now convinced there’s a problem with the unit as it disconnects every 20 to 30 minutes, trouble is I’m working out in Saudi and the unit had to be carried out for me from the UK and I’ve no realistic way of getting it back Guess I’ll stay away from Linksys products and like your wife stick with the CD