What's new

Does such a product exist?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DJMarshy

New Around Here
Hey all,

I guess, if such a product does exist, it certainly won't come cheap. Basically I'm looking to replace my DIR-655 and TP-Link 8616 DSL modem with something that can do both, but better. What I'd like in it this is:

• Obviously 802.11N capability (2.4GHz is fine, 5GHz is a nice extra but not required);
  • At least four wired Gigabit ports;
  • At least one USB port for sharing hard drive/printer;
  • Absolute stability.

I guess the last one is really the kicker for me. In my current setup (which I use for a crapload of torrenting), I'm rebooting my router every two to three days. I know that the ASUS RT-N56U is supposedly great for this, but its orientation (standing up with cables out the side) makes it basically useless for my needs. I was looking at the Netgear DGND3300 and it looks quite promising, but I don't know if those are GigE ports 'round back or not.

So, any suggestions for the ultimate DSL modem/router combo?

me/myself, I prefer...

Steve! What's next, going to start using third person?

"The Steve prefers ..." :)

I'm with the Steve though, separate components, easier to swap in and out, and more control. The Qwest er, CenturyLink router comes dangerously unsecured.