What's new

Unbound Does unbound update automatically?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BeachGuy

Regular Contributor
Like the title says, does unbound update automatically or is there a setting for that? I use and see Diversion and Skynet do update automatically. Thanks

Yes ... unbound does update automatically.

There are various entries in crontab that are set to update unbound.
(These are set during the original installation)

ssh into router

'cru l | grep Sky' will list all crontab entries for Skynet ... don't type the ' characters !!!

Not sure why you replied with cron about Skynet but I ran same for unbound and got the following. Are these the updates you're talking about for unbound (root_servers)? Seems like .conf doesn't change though. I have custom entries and those haven't changed.

cru l | grep unb
12 4 * * * curl -o \/opt\/var\/lib\/unbound\/root\.hints https://www.internic.net/domain/named.cache #root_servers#
*/15 * * * * /jffs/addons/unbound/unbound_rpz.sh download #Unbound_RPZ.sh#
1 0 * * * /opt/bin/find /opt/var/lib/unbound/unbound.log -size +10M -exec rm -f {} \; #unboundLOG#

Not sure why you replied with cron about Skynet but I ran same for unbound and got the following. Are these the updates you're talking about for unbound (root_servers)? Seems like .conf doesn't change though. I have custom entries and those haven't changed.

cru l | grep unb
12 4 * * * curl -o \/opt\/var\/lib\/unbound\/root\.hints https://www.internic.net/domain/named.cache #root_servers#
*/15 * * * * /jffs/addons/unbound/unbound_rpz.sh download #Unbound_RPZ.sh#
1 0 * * * /opt/bin/find /opt/var/lib/unbound/unbound.log -size +10M -exec rm -f {} \; #unboundLOG#
Total Brain fart on my part .... thinking of something else.
Fingers typing something while not paying attention !!!

[Must sleep more often !!!]

Yes they are part of unbounds updating.

Ok ya. Entry #1 for unbound is to update it. I don't know why that is there if it automatically updates though. Just want to confirm that I don't have to perform #1 manually. Thanks

Misunderstood, thought you where talking about updating the files unbound uses while running.

[Logs, stats, size of log and root server files are updated while unbound runs from crontab entries]

Updating the unbound script/setup is the entry number 1.

Are root server files the important update items that keep it fresh? I'm trying to figure out if I ever need to manually update unbound. Do I ever need to update the unbound script (#1 option)? Thanks

Last edited:
When you run amtm [option 'u'] it will display any scripts that have updates.

You can perform the update from within unbound [Option '1']

Unbound itself is updated rarely, not on the same frequency of Skynet or Diversion, *but* the latest version via opkg is 1.20 ... 1.21 is not yet ported to entware.

The functionality being used on our routers is the same from 1.19 --> 1.20, main changes are bug fixes.
If you are using unbound in anger on bigger networks etc the extra functionality may be of use or fix issues.
Don't need to worry about unbound really.

Any changes will be flagged up by amtm.

For clarity

'unbound_manager' is the script that amtm installs, it is a frontend to using unbound.

'unbound_manager' may be updated *but* this does not mean unbound is being changed.

unbound will be updated via entware updates ... 'ep' on the amtm menu.

unbound is updated & changed on a much much slower cadence to the 'unbound_manager' script, in general.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!