What's new

Does your ISP support ipv6 and do you use it at home?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tiddlywink

Regular Contributor
Always saw no reason to even bother enabling ipv6 until now. Had issues with disconnects on new Sony TV(android) and saw a solution there is some kind of ipv6 bug. Read router logs that showed tons of reminders that ipv6 is not on. Logged into fiber gateway, turned on ipv6, had to input /64 prefix in router, TV now works fine, and now I'm using ipv6. The only benefit I can see is a slight decrease in latency and I can now pass ipv6 tests.

My only issue is that my ISP will only give out a /64 prefix and you just have to know that you can request up to 8 e.g. needing it for vlans. :mad: Don't know how a normal person is supposed to know that.

I always thought more people use ipv6 but adoption seems very low:

Do you use it at home? I assume enterprise/corporate is very different and dragging their feet. Perhaps I'm the outlier here for holding out for so long.

My ISP supports it but 1.5 month ago something broke on their side - all my configs got corrupted. They restored ipv4 but failed to fix ipv6 since. No matter how hard I attempted to help them debug the issue... It appears that GPON is not giving me any ipv6 address. Some kind of conflict or whatever. This is my sad ipv6 experience so far. And I already paid for cloudflare to take stuff from my server via ipv6 and translate into ipv4 for world access. Sad.

My ISP has still has a slow 6RD Tunnel in 2024. So you can enable it to get ~150mb IPv6.. So no, I have it disabled.

100 percent yes...

The only complaint I have is that my primary ISP only offers a /64 for a PD...

What I've found is that when running dual-stack, IPv6 is generally the first choice, then the fallback to IPv4 for hosts that are dual-stacked...

Keep in mind that even if one is not running IPv6 on the WAN, one is likely doing IPv6 internally via local-link...

My ISP (Telenet) started handing out IPv6 addresses and prefixes in 2010. When they did that, I also started to use it. Had very few issues since then. They offer a PD of /56 to their customers.

IPv6 WAN users: What is a "PD"? Are you using NAT, so that you consume only one WAN address, or does each client on your LAN have an external IPv6 address?

PD = Prefix Delegation. Think of it as a "global" IPv6 address that gets assigned to your router and from this prefix the router creates IPv6 address for all your attached clients (SLAAC or DHCPv6). I do not use NAT with IPv6. No real need to in my network

PD = Prefix Delegation. Think of it as a "global" IPv6 address that gets assigned to your router and from this prefix the router creates IPv6 address for all your attached clients (SLAAC or DHCPv6). I do not use NAT with IPv6. No real need to in my network

For all clients in subnets, your ISP needs to assign a prefix better than /64. sfx2000 only gets one. I technically get /60 at the gateway of which I can request up to 8 /64's. It seems like ISP's don't have any clue about ipv6.

39% adoption rate in Canada? This is probably heavily skewed by mobile users, because cable/DSL/FTTH ISPs are largely still IPv4-only. My ISP is a local exception, as they provide a static /56 PD.

I have it enabled and configured mostly because "why not". IPv6 is currently something that mostly just works in background, just like even IPv4 is something that largely works quietly in the background for the vast majority of home users.

yes
IPV6 settings
1720987195249.png

and my modem supports it native even in bridge mode

1720987290748.png

my country not widely supports it
1720987370227.png

Vodafone UK have dual stack with /56 PD. I'm using it because it just works, but some users are experiencing problems with the ISP provided routers. Prioritizes IPv6, and will failover to IPv4.
Screenshot_2024-07-14-22-44-37-79_c0dc27f5c07cb0fb3541d6073dfd6932.jpg

No-one wants a reverse DNS on IPv6.

Last edited:
39% adoption rate in Canada? This is probably heavily skewed by mobile users, because cable/DSL/FTTH ISPs are largely still IPv4-only. My ISP is a local exception, as they provide a static /56 PD.

LTE and 5G must support IPv6 per 3GPP specs, which answers the mobile item...

I have it enabled and configured mostly because "why not". IPv6 is currently something that mostly just works in background, just like even IPv4 is something that largely works quietly in the background for the vast majority of home users.

It's been in the background as link-local traffic for a long time now - the whole fe80 prefix...

For the most part, most folks shouldn't see that much of an impact - it should actually be transparent...

Attachments

• IPv6 test - Statistics for United States - July 2024.pdf
    917.8 KB · Views: 14

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!