What's new

Double DHCP Router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Belin

Occasional Visitor
So I have Verizon Fios. With this service you have to use their router to connect and have features like Video on demand and channel guide.. Looking online i found a very extensive workaround in order to use my own router. This workaround is not supported by verizon obviously...
Anyway to the point:
I was discussing with the main IT guy at my office this issue. He told me the people on www.Dslreports.com were spinning their wheels.... and trying to reinvent networking.

He told me to simply change my router I want to use to a different Ip config aka 10.10.1.1 with its DHCP server handing out 10.10.1.100-150 and plug a cat6 from a LAN port on the Verizon router into the WAN port of my router.
He said that he does this at his own office and actually splits his connection into 2 different networks since he is sharing space.
Verizon router -> His router (10.10.1.1)
-> Other guys router (11.11.1.1)
My question to everyone here is does this create any issues? I saw a lot of people talking about double nat and other issues when using 2 routers.

Any advice or is this a good way to go if i don't want to mess with Verizon's setup?

I have tried this at my house and it seems to work. I actually got higher speeds on www.speedtest.net somehow from a computer behind 2 routers instead of just verizon one (go figure).... No issues with games so far... i have tried Starcraft 2 and it worked fine.

Thanks,
Belin

you can avoid double nat by turning off NAT in your router (assuming your router supports doing that) and simply routing one private network (yours) to the other (the ISP's).

In other words, your router WAN port will pull an ip from the ISP router.

Your router LAN side, will provide DHCP to your LAN using a different subnet/network.

ie disable nat/enable routed mode in your router
wan/isp pulls 192.168.1.2
lan/local use 10.10.10.1

problems that can occur:
- your still going through your isp router, if thats the 'weak' link (ie reboots, not handling your downloads etc) your still gonna have problems
- your router does not let you disable nat, or will force nat if you use private ips (get a different router)

I don't know anything specific about verizon/fios, but if they lock to specific MAC addresses, you may also have to use MAC cloning on your router WAN link to make it look you have whatever authorized MAC address (your original PC or whatever)

Last edited: