What's new

Download speed hasnt improved after bridge connection and router upgrade

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

footballguyfps

New Around Here
Hello
I have recently upgraded my router from a talktalk dlink dsl 3680 router to a new TP-LINK TD-W8970 V3 router and my download speed is still poor.My link speed is now 1.3gbs with a bridge connection,1000 mbps ethernet and 300mbps wifi , and before it was only 54mbps on my old router with only a wifi connection.My speed test download speed results are very poor and are the same as my old routers scores which were 6.5mbps but sometimes its even lower on this new connection and router sometimes its is around 3mbps.Please helps and also im on talk talk(my isp) and my computer is the only device on the network and is right next to my computer

The router and computer are next to each other and connected wirelessly? You need to move them at least a couple of meters apart or more for optimum throughput.

With 300Mbps max speed over WiFi to your computer, you are reaching the maximum that the TP-Link router can do.

http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/cat-15_TD-W8970.html

How are you able to achieve 1.3Gbps with a bridge connection with this router?

understanding how dsl works is the key to your question

the modem uses the phone lines to connect to another modem at the exchange and its this phone cable and how long it is from you to the exchange that basically sets your internet speed as the greater the cable distance the greater the attenuation and the lower your sync will be , if you are getting about 6.5M speeds this suggest you are prob about 3 to 3.5km from the exchange

there is a handy little graph i like to use that shows the relationship between distance and speed , see the link below

http://www.internode.on.net/media/images/internode-adsl2-dist07.jpg

now seeing as adsl2+ is limited to about 20M or so yes ever a wireless G modem with 54M wifi is still faster

so buying a mew wireless AC modem with 1300M wifi and 1000M ethernet wont ever make your adsl internet any faster as the adsl is still the slowest point and thus the bottleneck

you buy wireless AC and 1000M ethernet to improve your lan / wlan performance within your home network

pete

p.s

the TP-LINK TD-W8970 is prob the wrong choice of modem for your line conditions as it has a lantiq chipset and although is reported to be stable on longer lines you would have been better going with a broadcom based modem

Last edited:

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!