What's new

Draytek Vigor 2910G Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BBBuyer

New Around Here
I enjoyed reading your DrayTek 2910G review. It's good to see DrayTek's are now on your radar.

In your review, you mentioned documentation lacking examples. DrayTek UK have very good guides on their website. http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/router_faq.html.
It's a real shame DrayTek's website content varies vastly throughout the world.

DrayTeks in the UK are very popular, especially with IT resellers in the SMB market. In the UK, the 2820N is the flag ship router within the DrayTek portfolio. We sell hundreds on this model line every month.

The replacement to Surfcontrol is Globalview from Commtech. New firmware supporting Gloalview is being rolled out across their product line. SRP UK pricing is £49 ($79) for all Vigor routers except 2110/2710. SRP UK pricing is £25 ($40) for the 2110/2710 routers.

I'm looking forward to seeing more reviews on DrayTek, especially your opinion on the new VigorIPPBX 2820 & Vigor 2955.

Giles

I'm convinced enough to try it out...

Thanks for the article- I'm convinced.. I've just finished putting in an order with DSL Warehouse for a Draytek Vigor 2820Vn. I've been shadowing Draytek for the last 2 months looking for an affordable, reliable VPN router, and I was impressed with all the extra bells and whistles (VoIP, Firewall, WAN connection on failure, load balancing, wireless N, USB, etc). The telephony features alone on this thing seem astounding. I tried to sniff out potential product deal killers and scoured the web for reviews and analysis, eventually spending hours on an Australian forum strangely named "Whirlpool", because they had the most actual Draytek user content in English. From a US perspective, it's a nervous venture to buy a little known product from a little known Taiwanese company... but I'm on my 3rd D-Link/Linksys/Netgear (in that order) router and my wife's new internet based home consulting career is killing it (and killing me with the connectivity tales-of-woe I have to listen to when I come home). However, I'm not ready yet to throw down the wads of cash needed for Cisco small enterprise level gear. Doug, this was the first thorough domestic review I've seen of the VPN capabilities, which were my biggest concern. I'm going for the 2820Vn because, for some strange Draytek reason, the 2820Vn model is the only model with a giga LAN port. With only one, I can at least hook up my giga switch and get fast throughput to my home net. It's really bizarre how none of the other routers in their line-up have giga port capability... especially the 2930 dual WAN series. Thanks again for the review and I'll let you know how it goes... by the way- this Draytek company reminds me of another innovative and affordable Taiwanese company- Synology. Perhaps the positive experience with my DS209+ paved the way for my Draytek adventure. Kind regards...

Reliability of Draytek

Hi,

As an IT consultant, I've been using Draytek routers, espicially the 2910 for over 4 years now and all of them work flawless. They are easy to configure and offer a lot of features. I've had a lot of mishaps with Linksys products in the past and switching to Draytek has been the best move I made. My clients are happy with the reliability. I hope to see the review of the Vigor 2950 which offer SSL VPN tunnels. I switched from a 2910 to a 2950, which offer gigabit ethernet as well.

OVerall, they're great products that aren't really known in North America. If you are looking to realiability, easy to use and good performance, go with Draytek.

A very happy Draytek client!

Yes, I'd also enjoyed some new models which is migrated from Vigor 2910G/2950 ie Vigor 2920n and Vigor 2955 which is refered by my pal lives in Canyon county/C.A.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!