What's new

DS410 RAID5 Performance small files

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

randfee

Occasional Visitor
Hi,
after I received my DS410 last week I did some performance tests. The files have been generated via console to represent the exact sizes. Here is the test environment.

Computer:
  • Intel C2D E8400 @*4,3 GHz
  • 4GB DDR2 RAM
  • HDD: WD20EARS
  • Windows 7 Professional

Router:
  • Netgear WNDR 3700 (Gbit Switch)

NAS:
  • Synology DS410
  • DSM 3.0-1337
  • 4* Western Digital WD20EARS-00MVWB0 @ RAID5
  • Samba-Share - Standard Settings

NAS_performance.numbers-20100930-061615.jpg

Einheit: MegaByte/s

The Upload (Writing) seems to be CPU limited so I can explain the 50MB/s writing limit for this freescale driven NAS. I can't fully grasp the massive performance hit for smaller sized files though in the regime of image and PDF-Files. What I'd really like to know is if the ATOM-based NASes do have a significant performance advantage when it comes to smaller files.
Browsing images on the NAS I only get roughly 25MB/s (read), I'm thinking about trading in my DS410 and get a DS1010+ instead.

All I can always find are maximum transfer rates for very large files (>1GB). I'd really appreciate if someone could repeat a test like I did with an ATOM-based RAID 5 or if one could point me to a review/test that did something like it.
If a DS1010+ would give me a distinct performance advantage in this area, I'd really consider trading my DS410 in for one, which I still can do for another week.

Any advice appreciated
Randfee

Last edited:
Nice testing anyone have tests read/writing transfer speeds of 4-5GB MKV or 8GB MKV files?

NASes will always have best performance with large sequential transfers. As soon as you start copying shorter files, there is more head seeking, so throughput drops significantly.

You can see this in the NAS Charts NASPT tests. Compare NASPT File Copy To/From NAS with Directory Copy To/From NAS.

Beefier CPU helps a bit, but not significantly.

Sorry no tests for the DS410, but I do have my tests for my DS1010+ in Raid 5 using the following file sizes:-

single 349MB avi file

single 1085MB avi file

1566MB folder containing 241 mp3 files ranging from 2MB to 12MB

All figures are in Megabytes per second, using a simple windows copy and paste, and an Core i5 750 CPU with 4GB RAM and a Velociraptor drive

single 349MB avi file
Read 99
Write 92
single 700MB avi file
Read 100
Write 87
single 1085MB avi file
Read 96
Write 88
single 6840MB mkv file
Read 94
Write 86
1566MB Folder containing 241 mp3 files ranging from 2MB to 12MB
Read 78
Write 62

Graphs can be found here

http://www.ntm1275.f2s.com/synology/synology1010_files/benchmarkspart1.htm

Last edited:

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Staff online