What's new

DSL-AC68U vs Archer D9 vs Recommendation

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

enr00ted

Regular Contributor
Update: I tested the archer D9

Ok so I bought the Archer to test. I did not do a full test but it seemed to perform well. The problem was the coverage/range. To be honest I think I got worse or the same range than my RT-N66U, which is odd for a 200 € router. I'll definetly return the unit.

KTA4net.png

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Original Post:

Planned upgrade of my network (1 more switch, AC capable modem router)

KTA2net.png

Bellow, more or less my appartment layout. From left to right around 15-20 meters long (I don't know how many feet that is :rolleyes: ). Yeah I know, it looks like a sausage. That is the only place I can place my router because of the cable layout (under and inside the walls). The service room, small, is my connection with the outside world "so to speak" but I have no space nor plugs for electronic devices. The switch is inside the wall, where the cables meet. The discontinued lines are the cables, black for ethernet (cat5e), yellow for phone line (rj11).

KTA3net.png

Ok, so, I want to replace my actual RT-N66U and slightly modify my setup:

Facts:
- I am on a s**ty ADSL connection (10 Mbps / 1 Mbps)
- I have IPTV or how is it called over ADSL (ISP STB)
- All my computers and everything that has an ethernet port is connected via gigabit and by cable, with switches (I kind of hate wifi)
- I have a dedicated Synology NAS, no need for USBs
- My mobiles and tablets are connected by wifi (none has AC)
- Sometimes I roam around the house with my laptops so I need a "as close as gigabit connection" for wifi to be able to work on the same conditions as with cable.

Now, from what I've been reading around here and there (correct me if I'm wrong):
- The most common wifi configuration is a 2x2, 867Mbps, so an AC1200 would be enough for me.
- Dual core cpu's make no difference on lan switching, only has impact on wan routing, I mean internet traffic.

What I still don't get:
- Do I really need beamformig ? I still don't know if It really provides any benefit.

Thing is I want to buy an all-in-one ADSL Modem-Router because I need to be able to configure multiple PVCs for my connection. At the moment I don't use IPTV but now that I pay for It (it was mandatory on contract) I will. I would also want to be able to stream TV via WIFI or ethernet. Also the main reason I want to upgrade is because sometimes I work from my laptop and I am accessing my files on the NAS, so I would like to get at least something close to the gigabit on cable.

I was a big fan of Asus products, now I don't care anymore. Given my situation I can't use any of the advanced features It provides like VPN, Media server, NAS, Printer sharing etc. In fact I won't use any of them of any brand, so less features, cheaper and better for my budget :).

* I looked at the TP-link D5, then D7 and now D9. Only the latter has beamforming.
* I then looked at the Asus because I think it's the only one that support VDSL2, and maybe in the future I will change my Internet to VDSL (at the moment it costs double and I can only have 20Mbps, so not worth it).
* Tp-Link is 20 € cheaper than the ASUS.

1. If someone has the D9, can you please tell me if it has the new redesigned UI (like the C8 series) ?
2. Does the Asus support IPoA ?
3. Can someone that has the ASUS one post an image with the menu where you define PVCs ?
4. Will beamforming help reach my entire house, given the layout ?
5. Do any of these routers provide enough coverage/range ?
6. I am open to suggestions for other brands (If I'll be able to find them).
7. I live in Spain (Some products are harder to find).

Thank you for reading this novell post o_O

Last edited: