What's new

Dual Band Setup - Opinions/Thoughts

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rikd

New Around Here
I've just bought myself a lovely DGL-4500 wireless router. Of particular interest was the gamefuel engine which I plan to make extensive use for both my gaming PC and PS3.
Ultimately though - I also want to add 5GHz to my network, primarily to get me out of the constrained 2.4GHz band. I've ~17 neighbouring networks which occasionally cause issues due to badly configured routers.

So, to my setup.
Am thinking of putting the DGL as the main router and then tap off my homeplug and DIR-655 (for backwards capability) from it.
Here's a pic of what I plan
attachment.php

What do ppl think?
See any potential problems with this?

Really interested in thoughts or opinions on how I can maximise this.

EDIT - just noticed the 5GHz and 2.4GHz N are reversed - the top right is all 5GHz 11N.

Attachments

• riks_network.jpg
    riks_network.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 674
Last edited:
1) I would get the server connected directly to the Ethernet LAN. Either powerline or wireless is going to knock throughput down.

2) Choose one connection or the other for the PS3.

3) When draft 11n and 11b/g clients are operating simultaneously, throughput for both will be seriously affected.

4) You really didn't need the DGL-4500 to get 5 GHz. Could have just added a 5 GHz bridge/ AP, like the DAP-1522 or Netgear WNHDE111. The DIR-655 already had a Ubicom-based router and gigabit Ethernet switch.

1) I would get the server connected directly to the Ethernet LAN. Either powerline or wireless is going to knock throughput down.
Yeah - had thought about that. Will look to run a Cat6 link up in time. Just don't have the time to try and run a cable to it at this time :(

2) Choose one connection or the other for the PS3.
Should have been clearer - PS3 uses one or other at a time. Mostly uses the powerline since that's where it lives most of the time. But sometimes I need to move it to another room (for various reasons) at which point I fall back to 11g.

3) When draft 11n and 11b/g clients are operating simultaneously, throughput for both will be seriously affected.
Good point - had forgotten about that.
Should limit the 655 to 11g then. 2nd Laptop doesn't need any more than that.

4) You really didn't need the DGL-4500 to get 5 GHz. Could have just added a 5 GHz bridge/ AP, like the DAP-1522 or Netgear WNHDE111. The DIR-655 already had a Ubicom-based router and gigabit Ethernet switch.
I know - but while that was one of the reasons for it, I had others - particularly to get the Gamefule QoS engine. Adding another AP to the 655 would have introduced more latency again.

Thanks for the input - will make those little changes ;)

No Gig switch in the mix nor Gig NIC for the Server? You got a lot stuff there!

I know - but while that was one of the reasons for it, I had others - particularly to get the Gamefule QoS engine. Adding another AP to the 655 would have introduced more latency again.
"Gamefuel" is just D-Link's branding for the same Ubicom StreamEngine auto-QoS that you have in the DIR-655.

No Gig switch in the mix nor Gig NIC for the Server? You got a lot stuff there!
Have the NIC but not the switch - coming later...

"Gamefuel" is just D-Link's branding for the same Ubicom StreamEngine auto-QoS that you have in the DIR-655.
I know that. I want the QoS at the 5GHz 11n point. This will provide my HD stream from the media server to the HTPC (5GHz 11n), and provide the QoS necessary for both the PS3 (homeplug now, but GbE later) and the Gaming PC (5GHz 11n).

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!