What's new

Dual Wan Failover

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DukenStein

New Around Here
First post. I am using @Ranger802004 wan failover script (unsuccessfully). I have searched and read many threads, including the 25page one of the script. I still can't get the failover to work and I'm not sure if it's my config of the script, router or my failover device. If someone could point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated. I am sure I'm doing something stupid because I'm a noob.

Router - RT-AC5300 fw 386.14
Dual Wan enabled, USB Modem enabled
Orbic RC400L, Verzion Jetpack, connected to asus usb, tethering enabled on jetpack
Installed Ranger's latest script (via amtm). default settings.

When I pull the primary internet connection I can see that the script correctly fails over "I think" from Wan0 to Wan1 (jetpack) but I can't get to the internet. The jetpack works fine if I connect a device to it using wifi so I know the jetpack itself works. It appears the jetpack is recognized in the router and the script fails over to it but why no internet? Is there something additionally I need to be configuring in the script or in the router?

The router has dhcp enabled using 192.168.1.1 The jetpack also has dhcp enabled (should I disable it?) but since it was using the same ip subnet as the rotuer I changed it to use 192.168.10.1. Is that ok for it to be on a different subnet? I'm thinking that my problem has to do with this dhcp config between the two devices but I want to make sure I'm not missing something.

Any thoughts or advice much appreciated..

Dual Wan enabled, USB Modem enabled

Based on what I find online folks with similar issue say Verizon Jetpack must be set as Android Phone and not USB Modem.

I'm not sure if it's my config of the script, router or my failover device

Dual WAN is unreliable feature in Asuswrt used mostly for advertisement, the reason the custom script you are using exists.

Based on what I find online folks with similar issue say Verizon Jetpack must be set as Android Phone and not USB Modem.

Dual WAN is unreliable feature in Asuswrt used mostly for advertisement, the reason the custom script you are using exists.
thanks for the reply. I saw that too and tried setting the jetpack as an android phone as well (since it runs android) but the result was the same.

Unfortunately, USB tethering compatibility is not guaranteed to any router with USB port. What is commonly called Verizon Jetpack is in fact multiple different devices running different firmware with perhaps user experience differences. Searching for your specific model compatibility is the way to go.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!