What's new

Dual Wan Router w/ Failover for VOIP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jesseasi

New Around Here
We are using VOIP to connect to a phone server hosted in the cloud. It is running Asterisk.

Our phone provider gave us Asus WL-520GU routers that are flashed with Tomato V1.27 (Current Version: 1.27.8744 ND USB Std)

This router works great in that it does all the QOS for our phones. So when people are downloading or uploading huge files - we suffer no quality loss or speed loss for our VOIP systems.

This is great however our ISP isn't the most stable. So we have had a 2nd connection installed.

Connection 1 is Cable Modem - 50mb / 10mb (fast enough for all our needs)
Connection 2 is 2Wire DSL - 18mb / 1.5mb (in emergencies - would be used for VOIP).

What is the best Dual WAN router that an work as a failover or even load balancing with failover support? Also what settings do we need to address the QOS issue we need to support VOIP?

Our phone provider that sold us this Asus Router seem to have done some custom programming in it.

I appreciate any info.

Also - I need to order and get this router ASAP. I need to install it within a week.

Thank you!

One more thing - I found some threads about failover where calls would not be dropped. That is not important to me.

What is important is that if the Cable Modem goes down - the router can see it is down and switch over automatically to the backup WAN. Or just steer all traffic out that route.