What's new

e3000 running DD-WRT can't handle 35Mbit with QOS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ThaSpacePope

Occasional Visitor
Recently upgraded my service to 35Mbit/5Mbit and started downloading some torrents. A few minutes later I saw my internet was slow - checked status of router and cpu was at 100% with loads around 3.0. :(

Due to requiring QOS for my VOIP I think this may be bad news. I never noticed this behavior when I was on 15mbit but maybe I just never noticed.

I didn't see # of connections hitting the 4096 cap either, just very high CPU. Anyone have any ideas? Is the stock firmware faster or is this router just long in the tooth for 35Mbit service with QOS turned on?

From my experience, for newer routers, everything except USB storage tended to lose performance compared to the stock firmware. (especially on some of the newer netgear routers.

Would love to see some controlled test done on dd-wrt, tomato, open-wrt with newer routers.

It just doesn't seem like in the old days when 3rd party firmware had a strong focus on optimizing performance, now it seems that many developers are just trying to get the firmware to work and add features and not much more than that.

(eg compare dd-wrt and tomato on the WND3500l v2 to the stock netgear firmware)

In my experience tomato has been generally faster and more reliable than dd-wrt, routing performance always took a hit with any of the 3rd party firmware.

From my experience, for newer routers, everything except USB storage tended to lose performance compared to the stock firmware. (especially on some of the newer netgear routers.

Would love to see some controlled test done on dd-wrt, tomato, open-wrt with newer routers.

It just doesn't seem like in the old days when 3rd party firmware had a strong focus on optimizing performance, now it seems that many developers are just trying to get the firmware to work and add features and not much more than that.

(eg compare dd-wrt and tomato on the WND3500l v2 to the stock netgear firmware)

In my experience tomato has been generally faster and more reliable than dd-wrt, routing performance always took a hit with any of the 3rd party firmware.

Razor, thanks for the info. I'll post over on dd-wrt forums and see what people say.

I've now had 35/5 service for 2 days with QOS turned off and results are good. Possible that with this much speed (based on my own usage) that QOS won't be necessary.

Lots of overhead in Router based QoS.

Some low cost switches not have bandwidth (speed) caps at layer 2.

So after checking multiple places, looks like QOS isn't happenin with an e3000 with stock or dd-wrt at this speed.

I guess if I want it i'll have to upgrade my router. Maybe the new Asus routers can do it? AC66U maybe?

VoIP priority over FTP/torrents.
Been there, done that. You're unlikely to succeed with this.
I tried VoIP from 3 companies, one with ATA ahead of the router on the WAN side. That means the router needs no QoS.

I gave in and paid $10/mo more that good VoIP (VoicePulse was not good enough but best of those I tried), and have cable TV digital phone. It has been as good as ye ole POTS wireline; better quality, but a few short outages. But even in the last years of my AT&T landline, which had grown to absurdly high cost, they had more outages than usual - due to poorly maintained wiring in the neighboord cross boxes and so on.

So I'd advise to not fight with VoIP to be more than it can be. The Cable TV digital phone works well because it does not route across the Internet to reach the switching center.