What's new

Effects of adding functions to the router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

huotg01

It is definitely something when we see all the functions that we can add to the router: web server, file server, media server, download server, etc.

I know that is probably not an easy question to answer, but how the addition of these functionalities will affect the overall router performance, and more specifically affect its basic role: bridging and routing ?

Thanks

GH

IMO even under heavy load the basic functions are working like usual.
But any file transfer will slow down another file transfers.
Use top command and watch the I/O wait (% io).

I know people who are using old 486 machines (with OpenBSD) with two network cards to run a router capable of at least 100 Mbit/s throughput. So there is not much computing power needed to shuffle IP packets.

Good question.
If you work with professional routers you know it's not done.
A router should be safe and fast with only one thing, routing. :)
(OSI layer three stuff.)
Also, extra code means more attack surface.

For home use (not office) I like some of the extras.
Main reason for me is the OpenVPN implementation by Merlin and latest 2.4 and 5GHz WiFi.
I needed something new to be on par with my fiber connection, it's also great value. (cheap)
However to use it with Downloadmaster, whatever that is and connect a large USB disk to it, make me go like :eek:
I'm very picky with what I turn on, almost everything is switched off on my router.
But that is just me. :D

If you find something useful, use it with care.
If not, just switch it off.

IMHO

Last edited:
Most home users use a router only because they need NAT (because they only get one IP). In those cases I don't see any big issues with including for example a web server, Asterisk PBX and similar functions.

If their ISP supported more than on IP address they could use a switch instead.

Power consumption is a good point for using a router instead of a "real" server. I have an Asus RT-AC66U as a router, ans got myself a Netgear WNR3500L to use as a "server" on my LAN. Those two replaced three old Pentium machines and lowered the power consumption with 90%.