What's new

Electrical Squeal coming from R7000

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ppilot

Regular Contributor
So in the last couple weeks, I've noticed an electrical squeal coming from inside my R7000 router. Is this something I should be concerned about?

Apparently the way to solve coil whine as with GPUs is to add a good capacitor to 12V cable going to the GPU. The same would be true for other things just with the right volts they use and not to use too big of a capacitor but enough to flatten the DC input.

Coil whine is harmless unless the voltages goes beyond the limits the hardware can handle and this is mainly down to PSU quality and the circuit board and capacitor design.

Not hearing much except rustling of the mic and some minor periodic ticking in the background... if it's the ticking you're worried, that's the beacon frame being transmitted - nothing to worry about...

Just so you know however, I'm deaf as a freaking post, lol.. Couple of years on US Navy Destroyers will do that to you - thanks GE (LM2500 gas turbines)

This issue has been disscused many times in the Netgear forums since the 7000 was released some do it some dont. Netgear has said its no issue and ignore it.

This issue has been disscused many times in the Netgear forums since the 7000 was released some do it some dont. Netgear has said its no issue and ignore it.

I have had this happen twice - CPU upgrade way back on a Powermac 7500 G3 upgrade card and on an Airport Extreme - harmless, but noisy...

Noise coming from some of the components on the board has no impact on the normal functionality of the wireless router and no hazard posed by it.

Could be worse - generally the squeal is annoying but harmless...

Squeals are better than eels...

;)

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Staff online