What's new

Empty client list in Merlin RT-AC68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mryan

New Around Here
Hi all,

First time posting on this forum, so I apologize in advance for any nettiquite etc that may be broken.

My client list on the RT-AC68U always displays 0 items, despite the JSON response containing actual data. It's been this way for over a year now and for troubleshooting I have tried:

- Factory default of the router
- Stock firmware
- Latest merlin firmwares whenever they come available.

I have searched already for a solution to this, and the closest I have found was using the browser debugger to trace the traffic, as it could be an invalid host/device name that is tripping up the client list renderer. It definitely seems like the router is sending back a ton of information, so this may be the reason - but I can't see which device would be causing this. I work with embedded C, and thus am not a web developer. Attached is the raw response from update_clients.asp, with the MAC and IP addresses anonymized.

It's worth noting that this problem became annoying enough that I moved my DHCP server to PiHole, but I would still like the client list to see connected WiFi devices.

Many thanks in advance,
/Marcus

Attachments

• update_clients.asp.response.txt
    26.2 KB · Views: 209
It’s usually the main symptom of a router that wasn’t intended to be an AC68U. Can you vouch for the router’s pedigree and authenticity as an AC68U?

This should win some sort of SNB Dundee award for "Most Polite Accusation"

It’s usually the main symptom of a router that wasn’t intended to be an AC68U. Can you vouch for the router’s pedigree and authenticity as an AC68U?

Of all the possible responses I was expecting - this was not one of them :S
I can assure you that this is indeed is a genuine RT-AC68U, purchased from the reputable chain NetOnNet in Sweden, sealed in box. If it isn't a genuine AC68U then a whole lot of people have been duped.

I should probably add that the client list did work originally, it's just stopped working somewhere along the way. Welcome to any other suggestions that don't target the "pedigree" or "authenticity" of my device :D

photo_2020-05-03_08-52-45.jpg

Networkmap can be 'hung' by a misbehaving client that get stuck in a loop issuing it's own arp requests. Try rebooting each of your clients one-by one and see if it frees up.

Make sure your network isn't larger than a /24 - networkmap is hardcoded to only handle up to a /24 subnet.

This happened to me this morning as well. Had been fine last week, but was showing 0 clients today. Router had been up for 18 days, so I rebooted and that resolved the client list issue for me. Now to find out why my daily auto reboot hasn't been working. :(

I'm also running a T-Mobile AC-1900 converted to an Asus RT-AC68U running Merlin 384.16. This is the first time I've noticed the client list being empty like that and I've been running this version for about 3 weeks now.

Networkmap can be 'hung' by a misbehaving client that get stuck in a loop issuing it's own arp requests. Try rebooting each of your clients one-by one and see if it frees up.
Thanks for a good tip.
I tried removing all LAN clients except the PC I'm connecting from, and the problem unfortunately remained. The wireless clients are a bit harder to isolate, so I disabled the radio .. same issue.
Then with no other options, I did a backup, factory default and just had my PC connected. Surprisingly, the client list came back! I added wireless clients, and other clients, all was good so I restored from the backup (to get back all my port fw rules etc) and ... the client list is empty again. Sigh.
But, it was closer than I have been in some time.

converted to an Asus RT-AC68U running Merlin 384.16.
You are running an unsupported unit so your support will be limited in this thread. Read the thread stickies regarding that unit if you have questions regarding why it is unsupported.

Thanks for a good tip.
I tried removing all LAN clients except the PC I'm connecting from, and the problem unfortunately remained. The wireless clients are a bit harder to isolate, so I disabled the radio .. same issue.
Then with no other options, I did a backup, factory default and just had my PC connected. Surprisingly, the client list came back! I added wireless clients, and other clients, all was good so I restored from the backup (to get back all my port fw rules etc) and ... the client list is empty again. Sigh.
But, it was closer than I have been in some time.
You know the path to success is to start from scratch - you've tasted it. You could cherry pick your port forward rules like this:
Code:
echo "nvram set vts_rulelist=\"$(nvram get vts_rulelist)\" && nvram commit"
This will give you a command to put back your virtual server rules only once you reset.

EDIT: added conditional nvram commit

Last edited:
You are running an unsupported unit so your support will be limited in this thread. Read the thread stickies regarding that unit if you have questions regarding why it is unsupported.
Yep, I realize it is unsupported and understand why. Apologies for posting a question about it.

Pardon my ignorance QuikSilver but, I came here to ask about the TM AC-1900 and, after reading a couple of threads, now I'm afraid of torches and pitchforks. I don't see what stickies you refer to. Is T-Mobile equipment contraband or something? Sorry, but I don't get what's happening.

Thanks Hazel. I wasn't being lazy:oops:... I looked but I did not see. I saw illegal devices are not supported but, I thought the AC1900 was an Asus product (RT-AC68U). I wondered why they are so much cheaper.

The Irony is if any body used TMobiles after hours(aka Google Search) for support on the TM-AC1900, there is so much talked about in the SB forums that they would probably point them here for help. o_O