What's new

ENH500 Transparent Bridge

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mark Uhde

Regular Contributor
Help guys, and I'm not sure this is possible with these units, I should've got the Ubiquiti since they're more designed for this (and in fact, I just ordered a set of NanoStation Loco M5's... in case, or else I'll use them for the next customer). I bought two EnGenius ENH500's and am trying to get them to be a truly transparent bridge (that will serve as a trunk port and pass VLAN tags). I cannot get them to pass VLANs. Both WDS-AP to WDS-STA (the setup recommended by Ubiquiti for their units which I wrongly assumed would be the same) and WDS Bridge modes fail to pass VLAN tags. Any ideas, or do these units simply not have the ability to pass VLANs over a bridge? Thanks!

Got my own answer from EnGenius, but I'll leave this here for anyone looking it in the future:

Hello,

Unfortunately our units do not pass 802.1Q via 802.11.

Hi Mark, I have the ENH500's and was trying to do just that as well with having a transparent bridge and pass vlan tags but couldn't get it to work either.

Did you find a product that did accomplish this? Any detail you could provide would help a ton!

Thanks!!

Yes, I'm using a pair of Ubiquiti NanoStation Loco M5's and they're working great. I plan to write up a bit about them (with pictures and the like) on my blog soon. Here's a map of the link:

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=48...5&lvl=18&dir=0&sty=a&cid=3FE4D80F90110FAC!220

It's running about 130 meters, through a few trees, and it's very stable and I'm generally seeing 270mbps. Couldn't be happier with the performance.

One of the ENH500's is being used as an AP up there to increase capacity in a busy area (add 5 GHz band to offload some users), the other may get installed up there or I may hang onto it for another use. Dunno yet.

Thanks a ton for the info!

U mention getting 270mbps. Doesnt that model only have a 100mbps lan port on it? So wouldnt it max out at 100?

Thanks a ton for the info!

U mention getting 270mbps. Doesnt that model only have a 100mbps lan port on it? So wouldnt it max out at 100?

Yes, it will 100mbps each direction. In the real world, it will rarely be saturated. 270mbps is a PHY layer speed that won't be anywhere close to reached in the real world... Remember that's 270mbps HALF DUPLEX, with OVERHEAD. It's possible the LAN port speed could be the bottleneck in extremely asymmetrical transfers, but quite unlikely.

ENH500 Acess Points

I am trying to connect two ENH500 WIFI Access Points together with a Honeywell Camera attached to the Client Bridge Access Point as it will be placed on a Boat Dock to monitor a boat slip

I need some step by step help as I am beating my head against the wall at this point

I am using a Cisco/Linksys Router with 1 ENH500 connected to a switch in the network. it is set as IP 192.168.1.5 and is in Client Bridge Mode

The 2nd Access Point is set as IP 192.168.1.10 and is in Access Point Mode

They have the same SSID and are operating on separate channels. I do not know what to do from here?? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

If I posted in the continuing thread I apologize

Last edited:
I am trying to connect two ENH500 WIFI Access Points together ...

If you mean you want two APs (Access Points) to exchange data via wireless/WiFi... they won't. Unless. the EHH500 can be configured as a client bridge rather than as an AP. If so, the bridge can convert WiFi to ethernet to connect to an IP camera or PC or ethernet switch. The bridge then associates to an AP or a WiFi router (which, on the WiFi side, the router *is* an AP).