What's new

eroneous results with built in dns in merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lgkahn

Regular Contributor
any idea why the built in dns on merlin is not resolving my domain but is fine with others.. while mainstream servers resolve it fine?

thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-07-02 114145.png
    Screenshot 2024-07-02 114145.png
    159.3 KB · Views: 64
  • Screenshot 2024-07-02 114038.png
    Screenshot 2024-07-02 114038.png
    235.1 KB · Views: 62
Well we don't know anything about how you have DNS configured on the router. By default, it will use the ISP's DNS server(s), the ones it gets via DHCP over the WAN. If this is the case, I would try those DNS servers (directly) since they represent what's actually happening. Then again, if you're using an active OpenVPN client, Stubby, pihole, whatever, it could be configured differently.

Never use a public TLD with a LAN. The router expects to be the authoritative resolver for that domain as it considers it to be local, so it will never consult the root servers to determine which are the real authoritative nameservers for that domain.

thanks changed it there and it fixed the issue. but on my other routers running the last merlin version i have the same domain. set and they dont exhibit the same issue. very strange.. will change them there as well..

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-07-02 170517.png
    Screenshot 2024-07-02 170517.png
    45.7 KB · Views: 29
  • Screenshot 2024-07-02 170444.png
    Screenshot 2024-07-02 170444.png
    622.3 KB · Views: 35
i have the same domain. set and they dont exhibit the same issue.
You probably changed the option on the Tweak page to have the router use localhost as its resolver instead of the WAN DNS. That option is being deprecated and removed in 3006 because it can create issues.

the Tweak page to have the router use localhost as its resolver i
yep i assume you mean this?

interesting it doesnt appear in ap mode as it presumeably would still apply.. i guess no place to put it since no wan tab in ap mode.

so either turning this on or changing the default domain in lan settings to not be a top level domain fixes trhe issue.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-07-03 123426.png
    Screenshot 2024-07-03 123426.png
    358.8 KB · Views: 22
yep i assume you mean this?
No, I was referring to another settings under Tools -> Other Settings that allowed you to force the router to do its local name resolution locally through dnsmasq rather than sending it upstream. But that other setting will also have an effect indeed, it's generally used when your router uses a Windows server for DHCP and DNS purposes.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!