What's new

ET12 All Guest/IoT Devices go to main router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nonnot

New Around Here
Sorry for another Guest/Vlan issue.

Recently, setting up a separate IoT network using a new pair of ET12.

Regardless whether I am using stable firmware 3.0.0.4.388_24542 or the beta 9.0.0.6.102.4856, I am seeing the same problem.

If I use 9.0.0.6.102.4856, the using the Guest Network Pro IoT network, I didn't see any option of attaching vlan, and create isolation or disable intranet access. The network created using IoT networks basically using the same subnet as the main vlan. No isolation.

Now, if I use customized network with vlan or using Guest Network on 3.0.0.4.388_24542 with disabled intranet access. I get the IoT devices in a separate vlan subnet. However, I notices that all the IoT devices go to the main router if possible. The remaining ones that sit too far away from the main router, they simply can't connect. I can force the first group to bind to the satellite node if they have strong enough signal, but if I do that for the second group of devices who are too far away, they will simply stay disconnected forever.

Reset the device multiple times, reversed main router and satellite, nothing helps. As soon as I enable intranet access, devices flow to the right AP as they should, and more remote devices get connected to the node without any problem.

Also, I am using Ethernet Backhaul. But I did try to turn it off and let the Aimesh system auto select backhaul. But it still behaves the same.

Joining the isolated IoT network with my cellphone also fails from time to time, seems like some DHCP problem even if I have very strong converge from the satellite node. I can imagine the IoT devices were facing the same issue.

Appreciate some pointers

Last edited:
Never mind. Figure out things myself, at least some workaround.

The Asus implementation of vlan is really quite unintuitive at least for me. For ET12, in the VLAN tab, I honestly do not know what All(default) does, seems that it just pass everything unchanged. Trunk does not allow you to select multiple VLANs, it's either one or all. But when I choose Allow all tagging, my satellite node simply disconnect and never comes back. Furthermore, on the satellite node, if I connect the WAN port to the 2.5G LAN port on main router, there is nowhere for me to set 802.1Q for the WAN port of the satellite. I don't know what happens in this case. I was under the impression that directly connecting satellite node with the main router makes things easier, but it was such a mess and I did countless reset, and it still didn't work properly.

Here is what I did, for those who run into similar issues with the same hardware/firmware.

I ended up putting a managed switch in the middle. Leaving all the VLAN switch control settings unchanged to All(Default) on the routers and nodes. I just configured everything given the VLAN numbers I created from ET12 web interface. Make sure VLAN1 is untagged for any port you want the default VLAN, especially for the port that goes to the main router. So far everything seems to be working as expected, isolation which ever VLAN i wanted to isolate while both main router and nodes accepts clients fine and distribute the clients properly for all VLANs

Last edited:

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!