What's new

Ever wondered what's inside a wifi antenna? Here's some pics.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

fleckens

Occasional Visitor
I've always wondered about these big antennas on routers. Wondered if it was a gimmick having big antennas, anyway I had the opportunity to teardown some antennas on some Asus AX routers I happened to be fixing.

Was surprised that they don't even put the actual antenna at the top of the tube.... What kind of BS is this Asus?

Attachments

• PXL_20241026_210358027.jpg
    PXL_20241026_210358027.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 23
That's funny. You'd think the 5GHz rod would be 2X longer than the 2.4GHz rod, not the other way around. heheh :p

That's funny. You'd think the 5GHz rod would be 2X longer than the 2.4GHz rod, not the other way around. heheh :p
Twice the frequency means half the wavelength. That said, most of our Asus routers have Dipoles inside the plastic housing (unless things have changed). If you look at business class access points you'll see different antenna configurations again! The design is pretty simple and straight forward in most cases though!

Dosen't work like that, the higher the frequency, the shorter the wavelength of the dipole. I know you're joking though ;)

I'm just very surprised they don't mount the antenna at the top of the tube as that would have a clear advantage.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!