What's new

vnStat Exclude spdMerlin from vnStat reports

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pmcarrion

Occasional Visitor
I use spdMerlin to check my internet speed every 30 minutes, and vnStats to see how much bandwidth I use at the end of the day.

According to the vnStats report, my network uses 194 GB each day (114 GB down / 80 GB up)
spdMerlin uses about 150 GB (75 GB down and 75 GB up) each day. I measured the approximate bandwidth used by spdMerlin by disabling it for 1 day.
This means that the rest of my network uses 40 GB down and 5 GB up.

I want to continue using both spdMerlin and vnStats on my router.

It would be great if vnStats could show the bandwidth used with and without SpdMerlin
i.e.
Total bandwidth (date rx tx total): 2024-07-26 114.28 GB 80.10 GB 194.38 GB
Used by spdMerlin (date rx tx total): 2024-07-26 75.20 GB 75.19 GB 150.39 GB
Remaining bandwidth usage (date rx tx total): 2024-07-26 39.08 GB 4.91 GB 43.99 GB

Is there a way to exclude spdMerlin from vnStats reports?

I believe that vnstat uses the network information provided by the kernel rather than constantly sniffing everything itself. So I don't think what you want is possible with vnstat.
*On a personal level though, is there a good reason why you feel you need so much info? When I was on ADSL and then VDSL I used to run spd Merlin on a 5 times a night schedule to set speeds for QoS, and common so I could see if I'd had any drops. I don't do that any longer, I have a fast stable connection, so it seems pointless!

@Crimliar is correct. There is no way to exclude specific traffic (or interfaces) from the reporting.

You could check Asus' built in tools.

Thanks for your replies!

*On a personal level though, is there a good reason why you feel you need so much info? When I was on ADSL and then VDSL I used to run spd Merlin on a 5 times a night schedule to set speeds for QoS, and common so I could see if I'd had any drops. I don't do that any longer, I have a fast stable connection, so it seems pointless!
I should do the same. My connection has been rock solid since upgrading to fiber.
I measure speed because my internet provider gives me a 50% discount on my bill if I show that my internet speeds are below 70%.