What's new

Exede satellite, simple home network router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

WinterTriangle

New Around Here
Hi all,

So happy to find ya'll. I am router illiterate and just want a simple router to work with my Exede Satellite internet modem.

I have a laptop PC as well as an Ipad mini so need it to work with both.

I do not have more than those 2 devices. Cabin is small @ 700 sq. feet. in extremely rural setting. Drywall, frame is 2x6s, Metal siding on cabin in wooded area but satellite is getting decent signal (for rural setting in the boonies, I'm used to going slow and this is my only option for ISP).

I just need to be able to compute from different rooms with my PC laptop running Win7 and my Ipad Mini running OSX.

Do not want to spend a ton of $$, want something up to date, do not want to have to upgrade firmware or do a lot of complicated stuff. :)

Can you give a few suggestions? Basically I only have 2 rooms besides bathroom, a very simple little cabin all on one floor.

Last edited:
Depends on how much you want to spend. My residential knowledge is mainly with Linksys, Netgear, it is what most people I know buy and some belkin mainly for their lower big box store price point. For what you want either should fine. The metal siding though is going to limit your outside wireless coverage big time if that is a concern and you may want to consider adding an outdoor rated access point on the side of the house you want coverage on. If you go that route you may want to look at PoE [Power over Ethernet] options to power an outside access point with one wire to carry power and traffic.

Sounds like you have no other networks in range.

A simple N300 class router should do fine. Linksys E900, E1200 are two. Check Amazon and look at most popular.

The metal siding though is going to limit your outside wireless coverage big time if that is a concern and you may want to consider adding an outdoor rated access point on the side of the house you want coverage on. If you go that route you may want to look at PoE [Power over Ethernet] options to power an outside access point with one wire to carry power and traffic.

I see. That is a good idea, thanks for bringing that up.

Sounds like you have no other networks in range.

A simple N300 class router should do fine. Linksys E900, E1200 are two. Check Amazon and look at most popular.

One of my friends is giving me a N600 Netgear, so I think that will be fine. And no, no other networks in range, heck, you have to drive to my nearest neighbor. LOL

Thanks a lot for helping me.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!