What's new

Expected file transfer speed.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cdysthe

Regular Contributor
Hi,

I have a 3 TB drive USB connected to my RT-N66U. The file system is ext3. I will be transferring files from laptops, both Windows and Linux, over wi-fi to this drive. What kind of speed should I expect to get? What I've seen so far is from 3 - 7 Mbps, but I have no idea whether this is normal or if I should expect more.

Hi,

I have a 3 TB drive USB connected to my RT-N66U. The file system is ext3. I will be transferring files from laptops, both Windows and Linux, over wi-fi to this drive. What kind of speed should I expect to get? What I've seen so far is from 3 - 7 Mbps, but I have no idea whether this is normal or if I should expect more.

As a baseline, use a hardwired connection to your router and establish some test speeds (using free utilities like LAN Speed test, etc), compare those to others (been tons of post just in the last 2-3 weeks on speeds people were getting).

Also I think you probably mean MB (megabytes) not Mb (megabits) in your #s (I know, they sound very similar, look very similar, and it's very nerdy to try to ask someone which they mean, sorry! :)).

On my RT-N66 right now, 5ghz connection at a listed txfr speed of 218Mb/s (two stream) & RSSI of -58, I get the following:
- To a middle of the road USB flash drive 6.1MB/s R & 4.8MB/s W
- to my Synology 212+ NAS connected to my LAN 14.4MB/s R & 10.3MB/s W

(300MB files, averaged over 3 runs w/ Helios Lan Test, connected via SMB)

As a baseline, use a hardwired connection to your router and establish some test speeds (using free utilities like LAN Speed test, etc), compare those to others (been tons of post just in the last 2-3 weeks on speeds people were getting).

Also I think you probably mean MB (megabytes) not Mb (megabits) in your #s (I know, they sound very similar, look very similar, and it's very nerdy to try to ask someone which they mean, sorry! :)).

On my RT-N66 right now, 5ghz connection at a listed txfr speed of 218Mb/s (two stream) & RSSI of -58, I get the following:
- To a middle of the road USB flash drive 6.1MB/s R & 4.8MB/s W
- to my Synology 212+ NAS connected to my LAN 14.4MB/s R & 10.3MB/s W

(300MB files, averaged over 3 runs w/ Helios Lan Test, connected via SMB)

Yes I mean MB and I glad you clean up my act. Next time I'll try to keep them apart! :)

Looking at your numbers I think I'm not too far off, but I will do as you suggest and do some tests to see where I'm currently at. At this point it's good to know that there's not something terribly wrong.