What's new

Expert Guidance required for setting up AP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Tj_El

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I have an ISP-managed router Draytek Vigor 2710n and a TP-Link TL-WA701ND 150 Mbps Wireless N AP which I want to connect directly to the ISP router via a long Ethernet cable in order to have a wireless signal from a more central location rather than using the TP-Link as an AP extender - which I tried but got no better results.

Currently the ISP router is situated in a corner next to the only incoming phone socket.

My intention is to have the configuration as follows:
ISP router (wireless enabled) -> Ethernet -> Netgear 8-port switch -> [PC1]/[PC2]/[AP -> wireless].

Being new to all this networking malarkey I'm not really sure if this set up will work as I'm hoping and I'm not sure of the connection to use on the TP-Link.

The TP-Link AP "supports multiple operating modes (Access Point, Multi-SSID, Client, Universal/ WDS Repeater, Bridge with AP)".

Could someone kindly confirm for me which to use for the configuration given - discounting the repeater modes (I think) seeing as I want the wireless signal I connect to, to be the one from the AP not the ISP router.

Reading the documentation it looks like it could be using either Access Point or Multi-SSIS mode which "will act as a wireless central hub for your wireless LAN clients, giving a wireless extension for your current wired network...Multi-SSID mode (being) similar to Access Point mode" or then again it may be Client mode?

I'm really not sure which option to use. Need expert guidance.

Sorry about the basic question but I'm really new to networking.

Many thanks in advance. :)

Tee

Hi,

I have an ISP-managed router Draytek Vigor 2710n and a TP-Link TL-WA701ND 150 Mbps Wireless N AP which I want to connect directly to the ISP router via a long Ethernet cable in order to have a wireless signal from a more central location rather than using the TP-Link as an AP extender - which I tried but got no better results.

Currently the ISP router is situated in a corner next to the only incoming phone socket.

My intention is to have the configuration as follows:
ISP router (wireless enabled) -> Ethernet -> Netgear 8-port switch -> [PC1]/[PC2]/[AP -> wireless].

Being new to all this networking malarkey I'm not really sure if this set up will work as I'm hoping and I'm not sure of the connection to use on the TP-Link.

The TP-Link AP "supports multiple operating modes (Access Point, Multi-SSID, Client, Universal/ WDS Repeater, Bridge with AP)".

Could someone kindly confirm for me which to use for the configuration given - discounting the repeater modes (I think) seeing as I want the wireless signal I connect to, to be the one from the AP not the ISP router.

Reading the documentation it looks like it could be using either Access Point or Multi-SSIS mode which "will act as a wireless central hub for your wireless LAN clients, giving a wireless extension for your current wired network...Multi-SSID mode (being) similar to Access Point mode" or then again it may be Client mode?

I'm really not sure which option to use. Need expert guidance.

Sorry about the basic question but I'm really new to networking.

Many thanks in advance. :)

Tee
If you have a main router connecting to your Cable/DSL modem for your ISP's service, and need more WiFi coverager, then adding an ACCESS POINT (AP) is the right approach. The AP needs to connect to a LAN port on the main router, or an ethernet switch that in turn is connected to the main router. That AP connection can be cat5 cable, IP over AC power lines (HomePlug, etc) in lieu of cat5, or connect via MoCA which is IP over TV coax cables that are in place; The MoCA signal with IP coexists with TV signals on the same coax. There is a forum section here on MoCA and IP on power lines/HomePlug.

Need to find out the specifics of the Draytek's LAN IP configuration. Need to find it's IP and subnet mask as well as the DHCP range of addresses. Only then can you setup the AP.

Reading the Draytek's manual, it's default IP is 192.168.1.1 with a DHCP range from 192.168.1.10 - 192.168.1.51 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0

The TP-Link is confusing, it lists 192.168.1.254 as default IP in the manual, but it's online emulator shows it being 192.168.0.254(the newer version uses 192.168.0.254 and the older one uses 192.168.1.254), so you may need to connect to a computer with a static IP of 192.168.0.x or 192.168.1.x and try connecting to manage it. You will need to set it to AP mode and make sure it is using 192.168.1.254, then just setup the wireless security settings the way you like. Plug it into the router..done

PS. you should probably disable WPS(QSS) Pin mode, it is vulnerable to brute force attack.

Last edited:
Hi overdrive31,
When you say:
Need to find out the specifics of the Draytek's LAN IP configuration. Need to find it's IP and subnet mask as well as the DHCP range of addresses. Only then can you setup the AP.
can I take it you mean to get the details from the ISP or would using the ipconfig command give me this information?

Thank you :eek:

Last edited:
Log into the config and look for LAN>General Setup>DHCP Server config. You can find the config address using ipconfig, put the gateway address from ipconfig in a browser eg. default is 192.168.1.1 admin/admin being the default user/pass

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!