What's new

Extend Asus 86U WiFi coverage

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Chrisgtl

Regular Contributor
Hi all,

WiFi signal inside the house is good but when outside in the garden it is non existent.

I want to put the Alexa in the garden plus use my laptop on WiFi when the weather allows.

I've used extenders before but got very mixed results. Hardware has no doubt improved tenfold since then.

What is my best method? I have a spare LAN port on the 86U but would rather not use it if there is another solution.

I don't want to use anything that will modify MAC's as my network has very specific rules for certain clients (safe browsing DNS).

I've been reading that MESH systems are the best? How do these work exactly? Would I need to plug the master mesh device into 86U LAN port and then use a secondary mesh device to plug into the power socket closest to my garden?

What kind of distance are we talking about? Do you have power in the garden? Mesh, outdoor AP....several options that can be explored.

What kind of distance are we talking about? Do you have power in the garden? Mesh, outdoor AP....several options that can be explored.

I can get good wifi signal if I sit next to the house wall in the garden - however, if I move about 10 meters away from the wall (where my sitting area is) my wifi drops completely. I do have power in the garden yes.

A couple of options here:
1.) Run a cable and put an outdoor AP on the side of the house
2.) Use a PowerLine solution to get an AP out in the garden
3.) Use a mesh solution to get an AP out in the garden or on the side of the house
4.) Use a repeater solution to get an AP out in the garden