What's new

Extending Network (DirectTV house)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ClemsonDV

New Around Here
My house is new and has great insulation for my energy costs, but getting wireless signal (Asus RT-N12) to my upstairs is spotty. My office is there and I have coax (DirecTV) running for cable, but I do not use Whole Home DVR. I am looking for a good option to extend my network to my 2nd floor (office and bedroom). I have read all about powerline adapters and tried a couple cheap ones that work, but not sufficiently. I then read about MOCA but they seem to have issues with DTV.

What is the best (preferably cheapest) option for me. I kick myself everytime i think about not getting ethernet cable run upstairs while my house was being built, but my builder was kind of a terd about it.

Would MoCA work in my house or is powerline the best option. Or just getting a better router (modem in the exact opposite corner of my office and a floor down).

Any advice is appreciated.

You have single coax to each wall plate?

Do you have phone wiring? Its usually Cat5e and hopefully each jack is a home run back to distribution point. If you have suitable phone wiring, and no more than two phone lines, you can turn the other two pairs of the Cat5e into a 10/100 network. 10/100 will be sufficient for most home uses.

All you would need to do is have someone break out the unused pairs from each Cat5e cable and wire then into a 110 punch down patch panel. From there you would link each Cat5e to a 10/100 switch and/or router.

Here's some patch panel options for you. http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=105&cp_id=10514

In tough spots like that I often use a pair of powerline adapters to get the signal to an AP (usually a router configured as an AP since they are cheaper) and it works well for anything short of full BluRay iso streaming.

You have single coax to each wall plate?

Do you have phone wiring? Its usually Cat5e and hopefully each jack is a home run back to distribution point. If you have suitable phone wiring, and no more than two phone lines, you can turn the other two pairs of the Cat5e into a 10/100 network. 10/100 will be sufficient for most home uses.

All you would need to do is have someone break out the unused pairs from each Cat5e cable and wire then into a 110 punch down patch panel. From there you would link each Cat5e to a 10/100 switch and/or router.

Here's some patch panel options for you. http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=105&cp_id=10514
A friend uses spare phone pairs to ship 100BT for 100 ft. or less. Handy.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!